Applications are invited for a full time Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, based at the Royal Gwent Hospital. This is a new post..
The successful candidate will join an enthusiastic team of surgeons within the division of General Surgery and will be required to be part of the General Surgery on-call rota. Training in the management of all aspects of emergency general surgery is essential.
Organisation of colorectal surgical services within the Health Board are based on the following:
- 8 Consultant Colorectal Surgeons (this appointment will bring this number to 9)
- 5 Specialist colorectal nurses.
- 1 Functional bowel nurse specialist
The hospital has a busy General Surgical intake. Cancer and ERAS are firmly embedded within the department as is a commitment to teach and involvement with research. Dedicated interventional Radiologists also work closely with the department, and a weekly radiology meeting to discuss complex benign pathology is held. There is also a weekly surgical departmental teaching meeting.A commitment to audit and clinical governance and risk management is mandatory. It is also expected that the post holder will actively participate in leading training and assessment of juniors. The content of the job plan will be agreed jointly with the Clinical Director. Job share applicants are welcome. If such a person is appointed, modification of the job content will be discussed on a personal basis.
Main duties of the job
Specific responsibilities of the post are listed in the next section.
As a senior employee of the Health Board the post holder will work in close co-operation with, and support other clinical, medical professional and managerial colleagues in providing high quality healthcare to the Health Board's patients.
Integral to the responsibilities of the post are the following requirements:-
- To ensure the provision of a first class clinical service
- To provide effective leadership to all staff engaged in the specialty
- To sustain and develop teaching and research wherever appropriate
- To undertake all work in accordance with the Health Board's procedures and operating policies
- To conduct clinical practice in accordance with contractual requirements and within the parameters of the Division's and Health Board's service plans
- To maintain the confidence of business plans and development strategies formulated for the specialty, the Medical Division or the Health Board
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board is a multi-award winning NHS organisation with a passion for caring. The Health Board provides an exceptional workplace where you can feel trusted and valued. Whatever your speciality or stage in your career, we have opportunities for everyone to start, grow and build your career. The health board provides integrated acute, primary and community care serving a population of 650,000 and employing over 16,000 staff.
We offer a fantastic benefits package and extensive training and development opportunities with paid mandatory training, excellent in-house programmes, opportunities to complete recognised qualifications and professional career pathways including a range of management development programmes. We offer flexible working and promote a healthy work life balance, provide occupational health support and an ambitious plan for a Wellbeing Centre of Excellence to support you at work.
Please see attached job description
his position involves Regulated Activity with adults as defined by the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act (amended by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012) and the following checks will be undertaken following any conditional offer:
- Enhanced check with barred list information, including - an adults barred list check
Applicants must hold o full registration and a licence to practice with the GMC
Candidates for Consultant posts must also be on the GMC Specialist Register (including via CESR/European Community Rights) or will have a CCT/CESR(CP)date within 6 months of interview.