Are you ready for a new challenge ?
We have a new position for a substantive Consultant Ophthalmologist with a sub-specialist interest in Medical Retina, to join our recently expanded ophthalmology department.
We are looking for the right person to drive forwards our medical retina service, showing leadership to improve and expand existing care pathways.
This is an exciting time to be an ophthalmologist at our trust. The service has undergone an 18 million investment and transformation which has led to the opening of our flagship site - The Lancashire Eye Centre, based at Chorley District Hospital in December 2021. Services are also provided at Royal Preston Hospital. Our department is committed to providing an excellent standard of care to our local and regional population and is looking for an exceptionally motivated and dynamic individual to contribute to the team.Main duties of the jobThe post holder will:
Develop and lead the subspecialty Service ensuring robust pathways are in place for a high quality, modern patient experience.
Provide direct input to patients; contribute to multidisciplinary teams and lead the co-ordination of care for patients within Preston and Chorley Hospitals.Promote high professional standards of clinical care for patients, both through direct patient care and by the maintenance of continuing professional development.
Supervise, train and mentor optometrists and orthoptists within the retinal service.
You will join a team of 11 consultants and gives an opportunity for a dynamic and forward thinking individual to lead and develop the medical retina service in an ideal environment. In addition to all types of modern technology and diagnostics equipment, the individual will have access to a team of optometrists, junior doctors and specialist nurse injectors as well as consultant peers.About us
The Ophthalmology department at Lancashire Teaching hospitals is a dynamic, progressive service which is based across 2 sites (Royal Preston Hospital and Chorley District Hospital). Our primary location is the newly opened Lancashire Eye Centre situated in Chorley District Hospital. The Centre was funded through an 18 million investment and comprises a 3 storey build with modern, state of the art outpatient and day case facilities on one site. There are over 20 consult rooms in outpatients and 3 modern spacious theatres. The unit is equipped with modern diagnostic facilities and infrastructure to provide high quality care.
As part of the service expansion, an additional 40 support staff were recruited including ophthalmic technicians, administrative and nursing staff.Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the attached Job description, Person specification and Specialty/ Trust Brochure for further details on:
Person Specification Health Essential
- What we can offer
- Job Plan/On-call Requirements
- The Team
- Meets professional health requirements in line with GMC Standards/ Good Medical Practice
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- FRCOPhth or equivalent
- MBBS or equivalent
- Must be entered on the Specialist Register (or entry within 6 months)
Experience and Skills Essential
- Higher Medical Degree (MD or MSc) or ChM
- Management course/ certification
- Sub-speciality training and experience
- Trained Clinical Supervisor
- Trained Educational Supervisor
- Subspecialty fellowship
- Evidence of Clinical Leadership
- Evidence of commitment to audit and improving clinical practice/service development
- Experience of leadership and management
Research and Development Essential
- Proven effective communication skills.
- Examples of good organisational skills.
- Works well within a multidisciplinary environment.
- Evidence of interest in personal development e.g. through research and/or publications
- Evidence of peer reviewed publications