We are seeking to employ 1 full-time Paediatric Senior Clinical Fellow on a 2-year fixed term contract. The Senior Clinical Fellow role provides an excellent opportunity for a paediatric trained doctor (ST3 or above) to maintain their clinical skills caring for children, young people and neonates in a ward environment and to gain experience of paediatric sub-specialties in a District General Hospital.
The successful candidate will take part in a 1 in 11 second on call, EWTD, new contract compliant, full shift rota with 10 other registrars.
The Paediatric Department prides itself on being a friendly, caring and supportive team within the Medical Care Group and has an active Audit and Clinical Governance Structure. The Department regularly scores over 95% satisfaction on the Friends and Family Test.Main duties of the job
Two paediatric wards accommodate both general paediatric/surgical inpatients and day case surgery in 31 beds, including a 2 bed HDU unit. There is also a Children's Observation Ward with 8 beds, a Paediatric Day Unit/Phlebotomy Service and the Whiston Children's Hospital at Home Community Nursing Team which offers outreach care for children stable enough to be nursed in their own homes. The Neonatal Unit with 15 special care cots supports the Maternity Unit with over 4,000 deliveries per year.
There are active postgraduate and undergraduate teaching programmes with medical students attending regularly from Liverpool University. There are close links to the Tertiary Paediatric Centre at Alder Hey Children's Hospital, with joint specialty clinics held locally in Cystic Fibrosis, Neurology and Epilepsy.About us
As a Trust our aim is to provide a high quality service to all our patients. We strive to meet the best standards for professional care whilst being sensitive and responsive to the needs of individual patients.
Our valued workforce is recognised for their unique skills and talents with our teams of experts winning national awards on a regular basis.
There are excellent educational, cultural and leisure facilities within easy reach of the Hospital and there are a variety of pleasant urban and rural living areas close by.Job description Job responsibilities
This is a full-time post and the holder will be expected to work flexibly on the ST3+ rota of 1 in 11. Duties will cover all areas in the Department including inpatients, the Childrens Observation Unit, Outpatients, the Neonatal Unit, Paediatric Emergency Department and Maternity Unit for high risk deliveries.
The role also encompasses elements of Clinical Audit, Clinical Governance, teaching of medical students, nursing staff and junior doctors. Regular Departmental activities include:
Daily Consultant Post Take Ward Round
Audit on a bi-monthly basis
Specialist Clinics as detailed above
Paediatric Grand Rounds/Topic Presentation Friday AM
Protected Teaching for ST1-3 and F2 grades Thursday PM
Hot Topics in Neonatology Monday PMPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
Desirable Knowledge & Experience Essential
- M.B.ChB or equivalent
- MRCPCH Part 1, or equivalent
- Applicants must hold full registration with the GMC at the time of appointment
- Applicants must hold existing right to live and work in the UK at the time of appointment
- 12 months' experience of a broad range of medical specialties
- Three years knowledge and experience in Paediatrics and Neonates as a specialist trainee, or equivalent experience and competencies, including at least 6 months in Regional/sub-Regional Neonatal Unit
- Experience and ability in specific Paediatric and Neonatal procedures
- Demonstrates skills in written and spoken English that are adequate to enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues
- Ability to work as in a team
- Willingness to base practice on best available evidence
- Experience and commitment to Audit
- Commitment to continuing further postgraduate medical education and CPD
- Participation in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching