CONSULTANT MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY / JOINT INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND MICROBIOLOGY (10 PAs)
The successful candidate will receive a bonus recruitment premium of £20,000, plus the standard relocation expenses of up to £8000; details of the recruitment premium is outlined below.
We have an exciting opportunity to appoint an enthusiastic Consultant Medical Microbiologist or joint Infectious Diseases/ Microbiologist to join our team. This is a 10 PA post although we would also welcome applications from those seeking part time hours.
The post holder will participate in providing a comprehensive clinical, laboratory, diagnostic and consultative microbiology and infection control service to the Great Western Hospital. They will join the team in providing clinical microbiology services to Swindon and the surrounding area.
The post holder is required to be a holder of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or be within six months of award of CCT or equivalent by date of interview. As such the post holder should be trained in all aspects of clinical and laboratory microbiology.
Main duties of the job
The main duties of the post include:
Clinical Practice and Liaison
- Taking a leadership role within the Trust/ hospital / Health Board in matters relating to infection management
- Provision of a comprehensive infection service. This includes direct clinical care and proactive liaison in a timely manner with consultant colleagues, other hospital staff, medical microbiology colleagues, Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) physicians and lead respiratory physicians for tuberculosis management, general practitioners, antibiotic pharmacists, IPC nurses, health protection consultants and CCDCs concerning the diagnosis and management of patients, and control and prevention of infection
- Regular departmental visits and commitments to specific units including Intensive Care, Haematology/Oncology, Medical/Surgical admission units, regular and ad hoc visits to wards, and departmental commitment to IPC
- Regular departmental commitments to committees such as IPC meetings, Medicines Management Committee, Antibiotic Working Group, Sepsis Working group, Pathology directorate meetings, Microbiology Management Committee
- Regular commitments to Orthopaedic multidisciplinary team (MDT), Diabetic/ High Risk Foot MDT, Cardiology and antibiotic pharmacy rounds
The appointee will take equal (or appropriate share of) responsibility for departmental commitments.
Working for your organisation
Our Star Values are the golden thread running through everything we do and help us to deliver our vision of providing great, joined up services for the community. You can expect to see our values in the way we act and the way we treat each other. Our values make us who we are.
Service - We will put our patients first
Teamwork – We will work together
Ambition – We will aspire to provide the best service
Respect – We will act with integrity
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Working together with consultant colleagues, this position will be responsible for the provision of a comprehensive, efficient and cost-effective clinical Microbiology, Virology and Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) service to the Trust and other users of the service.
The post holder will join the existing team of three consultants to provide a clinical, laboratory, diagnostic and consultative microbiology service to Swindon and the surrounding area.
In this pivotal role, he/she will have the opportunity to influence and advise on hospital policies for infection prevention and control, risk assessment and the management of accidental exposures to infection, including on-call out of hours advice. This position will cooperate with the infection control teams and DIPCs on a local and regional basis, including liaison with relevant health protection staff, to investigate and prevent communicable diseases in the community. They will also assist in the investigation and control of community outbreaks.
Appointment to this role attracts a one off recruitment premium of £20,000. The recruitment premium will be paid in two instalments, £10,000 in the first month of employment and a further £10,000 on the 1st anniversary of the start date. Should a candidate receive the recruitment premium and leave within 5 years of joining the Trust, there will be a requirement to pay back all or part of the payments depending on time served.
For clarity on the repayment values, the day prior to the anniversary of start date will be the end of each year period, with the anniversary itself being the start of the new year period as defined below:
0-1 Year – Initial £10,000 Y1 instalment pay back
1-2 Years – £15,000
2-3 years – £10,000
3-4 Years – £5,000
4-5 Years – £2,500
For more information and to apply please visit www.jobs.nhs.uk and search for the job using reference 249-MED9990929