This is an exciting opportunity to for a less than full time Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist to join us at Dorset Healthcare. You will working 8 PA per week within the East Dorset and Purbeck core CAMHS team to provide comprehensive community based services to young people up to the age of 18 registered with general practitioners within the area.
The post is based in Delphwood, Poole. and the preference to work less than 8 PA will be considered Why Dorset Healthcare?
Alongside our outstanding location, support, development opportunities and NHS benefits, we can offer: -Relocation:
we can provide a generous relocation package of up to 10,000 if you are interested in moving to our beautiful county - Recruitment and Retention:
apayment of 10,000 to be paid in monthly instalments for the first year of employment - A commitment to flexible working
: we would love to hear from you to discuss how together we might design this role around you and your specialist interests. We are committed to enabling flexible working and would welcome a discussion on how this could be achieved for you.Main duties of the job
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and conscientious professional who is dedicated to providing the best care for our service users and have values (compassion, excellence and expertise) and a vision (Better Every Day) that resonates with that of the Trust.
The successful candidate will have excellent opportunities to build on their existing leadership skills i.e. provide medical leadership as well as make improvements to mental health services on a large scale by proactive involvement in the Transformation of services i.e. closer to Home, Crisis intervention/home treatment teams, CAMHS PICU and many more.
The Trust actively supports professional development of employees and there is potential for part funding via study budget (and via study leave and SPA time) to enrol into postgraduate programmes in Psychotherapy, Medical Education, Medical Ethics and law and Neuropsychiatry.About us
At Dorset HealthCare we're on a mission to empower people to make the most of their lives through our outstanding, joined-up healthcare services. We're a dynamic, forward-looking Trust, running 12 community hospitals, specialist inpatient facilities and a wide range of integrated community and mental health services for a population of almost 800,000 people.
We do things differently here - it's one of the reasons the CQC rated us 'outstanding' in 2019. It's also why 95% of patients across our services say they have a good or very good experience of our services and 89% of staff feel they can really make a difference. Whether you're looking to work with us in one of our bustling market towns, vibrant urban locations, thriving seaside spots, or among the rolling hills of Dorset, there are lots of ways you can make a difference in our communities.
Our 7,000-strong workforce is at the heart of what we do and our success is a testament to our brilliant people. We're all about building a workplace for the future, we believe in equal opportunities and we celebrate diversity. We're an inclusive workplace, where everyone is welcome, everyone can be authentic, and we are all encouraged to be the best version of ourselves.
Working with us you'll be part of a strong team, challenge yourself, build a career, and teach us what we don't know. And you'll be working towards our vision to be better every day through excellence, compassion and expertise in all we do.Job description Job responsibilities
The post holder will provide leadership to a multidisciplinary team, alongside a clinical service manager (CSM) (Band 8) and a team leader (Band 7). Medical leadership is highly valued with the recognition that effective leadership improves all aspects of a service. The clinical aspects of the post arise from an overall role to lead the team in the provision of effective assessment and treatment services for patients aged up to 18 years. The role includes a focus on supporting improvements in the process of transition to the adult mental health services as and when appropriate.
As a senior professional, your role will naturally include activities supporting both direct clinical contacts, and service delivery. Examples of these activities include policy development, quality improvement initiatives, teaching, appraising colleagues, line management or other nominated roles. A job plan will be developed by the Lead Consultant for CAMHS with the post holder and reviewed annually.
The post holder will be expected to work with the East Dorset cCAMHS to cover emergency work and to keep waiting lists within the Trust agreed limits. This has been within four weeks for routine referrals from April 2011.
The post holder is expected take part in the On-call rota unless an exemption is made following discussion with Medical Director /Deputy Medical Director. The On-call rota is Dorset wide on weekdays (1:25) and the postholder will be expected to cover the West of the county on weekends (1:12); the on call is paid at 3% on call availability supplement plus 0.75 APA. This is a joint general adult, learning disability, child psychiatry and old age psychiatry senior on call rota supported by core trainees, higher trainees (Specialist Registrars) and SASG or ANP.
It is a 3-tier support system in the East over the weekdays and 2 tier system when covering the West. There is also a non-resident junior doctor on call. When on call the postholder is expected to provide advice and support to junior colleagues on call, out of hours nursing and social work colleagues. When necessary, it is expected that the On-call consultant will review patients personally.
At weekends and on bank holidays there is a consultant led inpatient review for newly admitted patients to address problems with inpatients. This ensures that all patients admitted to our units are seen by a consultant within the first 24 hours of their admission and review patients in longer term seclusions.
The postholder will have cross cover arrangements for annual, study and emergency sick leave with the Consultant for North Dorset CAMHS. These cover arrangements will take account of the other medical staff in the locality team. Cover can also be arranged via the wider group when designated cover arrangement is not possible.Person Specification Qualifications/Training Essential
- General medical Qualification e.g. MBBS, or equivalent and hold a Licence to Practise.
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent, e.g. membership of a psychiatry college in another country.
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- Additional clinical qualification
- Must be in possession or within 6 months of possession of a CCT in Psychiatry or on Specialist Register in Psychiatry.
- On Specialist Register in enter specialism Psychiatry.
- Section 12(2) approval and Approved Clinician approval or ability to obtain approval before starting post
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & Experience Essential
- Experience of medicine outside psychiatry e.g. general practice, medicine.
- Excellent knowledge in specialty.
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement.
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wider medical knowledge.
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Make decisions based on evidence and experience including contribution of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Dorset HealthCare Values Essential
- Teaching Experience.
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within the NHS or comparable service.
Management Skills Essential
- Proactive, respectful, supportive, reliable and trustworthy, and positive
- Understand the importance of working with managers in the interest of goo patient care.
- Able to manage priorities.
- Evidence of management/Leadership skills training.
Leadership Skills Essential
- Previous management experience including that of other junior medical staff
Clinical Governance Essential
- Understand principles of leadership and give examples of leadership in own practice.
- Able to provide clinical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team.
Self Awareness Essential
- An understanding of the importance of Clinical Governance in the NHS organisations and importance in patient care.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
Supervision of Junior medical Staff Essential
- To have an understanding of own strengths and weaknesses and how these attributes affect professional functioning.
- To have an understanding of the stresses involved in being a consultant psychiatrist and how to manage these appropriately.
Research and Audit Essential
- Knowledge of requirements for supervision and appraisal of junior medical staff.
- Approved educational supervisor training.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication
- Ability to supervisor junior medical staff undertaking research projects
- Published audit project
- Ability to critically appraise published research