Senior Lecturer (Education) – Head of Assessment
Brunel Medical School
College of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences (CHMLS)
Location: Brunel University London, Uxbridge Campus
We are looking to employ a hardworking individual as Academic Head of Assessment, providing academic leadership for the medical education Assessment team at Brunel Medical School (BMS). The post is for a senior academic (education) at Senior Lecturer.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the UK’s newest medical school, welcoming in September 2022 its first cohort of international medical students for a 5-year MBBS programme. BMS has adopted programmatic assessment as its assessment philosophy, with cumulative testing during Phase 1 (years 1 and 2) and progress testing in Phases 2 and 3 (years 3, 4 and 5). This will be accompanied by a programme of academic coaching to enable students to develop as self-regulated learners. The postholder will join an experienced assessment team, including three Assessment theme leads, an Assessment Manager and two administrators. There is also a data analyst to provide psychometric support. Distinctive features of the programme include team-based learning (TBL), early patient experience in primary care and a focus on equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI).
Reporting to the Dean of Brunel Medical School, you will work closely with TBL & Educational Development, Digital Education, Student Support & Well-being, Admissions and Curriculum teams, to oversee the design, delivery, quality assurance and evaluation of assessment in Phase 1 of the MBBS programme, with ongoing planning of assessments for Phases 2 and 3. Your role will extend to include leadership of assessment for the Physician Associate MSc programme, when it transfers to the Medical School, anticipated in August 2023. The combination of TBL and programmatic assessment provides a unique opportunity for research and scholarship.
The appointed individual will be an experienced medical educator with clinical or scientific background, and a track record of academic leadership in assessment.
The responsibilities of the appointed individual will include:
- Leading the ongoing planning and implementation of the programmatic assessment strategy
- Leading examination blueprinting and standard setting across a range of test modalities to ensure relevance and fairness, in adherence to GMC requirements and university regulations
- Leading examination blueprinting and standard setting across a range of test modalities to ensure relevance and fairness, in adherence to GMC requirements and university regulation
- Ensuring appropriate governance and quality assurance of all assessment activities
- Overseeing the planning and delivery of examiner training and development
- Providing training on the assessment programme to BMS staff
- Providing strategic oversight of item bank development
- Contribution to teaching according to areas of expertise
You will be based on the campus of Brunel University, London in Uxbridge.
This post represents a significant opportunity for a talented and ambitious individual who has the ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, a passion for education and enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced environment.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 23rd October 2022 (Midnight).
For further details about the post including the Job Description and Person Specification and to apply please click the Apply button.
If you have any technical issues please contact us at: email@example.com
Brunel University London is fully committed to creating and sustaining a fully inclusive workforce culture. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and communities, we particularly welcome applicants who are currently under- represented in our workforce.