This post will replace a post and is based at The University Hospital in Coventry (UH) with two outpatient clinics at a local DGH. It is a full-time post. Experience in all aspects of general neurology is essential. Ideally the candidate will have an interest in Movement Disorders, Epilepsy or neuro-inflammation/MS.Other specialist interests would be supported depending on the needs of the department. Within the existing team there is a major interest in the fields of Epilepsy, Stroke, Parkinson's Disease/Movement Disorders, Headache and MS/neuroinflammation including neurosarcoidosis.The department also provides acute neurology services within the Trust and the successful candidate will take part in a weekly daytime rota (1 in 8) and the out of hours on-call rota. The neurosciences group currently supports the out of hours stroke/thrombolysis service and the successful candidate will take part in the out of hours on-call thrombolysis rota. The department are supported by a strong R&D team and welcome applicants who are interested in research.Main duties of the jobMain Purpose of the Post
a)Diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurological disorders.
b)Ensure the appropriate reception, clinical management and referrals of all patients attending the neurology department.
c)Participating in the management of the neurology team.
d) Play a full part in the audit process.
e)Liaise with other clinical specialists to ensure the appropriate transfer of care for patients to other specialists.
f) Ensuring adherence to departmental, Trust, regional and national policies including patients' charters, standards and clinical governance.
g)Professional accountability for the standards of the non-consultant staff in the neurology department, liaising with professionals and heads of other services.About us
University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire (UHCW) NHS Trust, rated as good by the Care Quality Commission, is one of the largest teaching Trusts in the UK.
We are extremely proud of our skilled employees across our hospital sites in Coventry and Rugby, with high quality patient care positioned at the heart of everything we do.
Boasting some of the most modern facilities in Western Europe, the Trust is renowned for being at the forefront of research and innovation as part of its blossoming reputation as a national and international leader in healthcare.
By joining our exciting journey, you will form part of a passionate, talented team and will be able to access a wide range of learning and development opportunities.
There has never been a better time to join our team.Job description Job responsibilities
To provide, in collaboration with clinical colleagues, a comprehensive Neurology service to patients in the Coventry and Warwickshire area. This will include ensuring that all appropriate waiting lists and waiting times are adhered to; that services are provided in an effective and efficient manner and that the principles of risk management and clinical governance are maintained at all times. The post-holder will concentrate on outpatient clinic requirements based at Warwick Hospital (general neurology and movement disorders) and The University Hospital, Coventry (general neurology and movement disorders) and providing an in-patient neurology service at UH with ward consultations at Warwick Hospital. It is anticipated that the new post would be involved in further service development in the South of the County with further peripheral clinics in Warwick and/or Stratford.
Person Specification Education & Qualifications Essential Desirable Experience / Knowledge Essential Management & Administrative Essential Desirable Teaching & Training Essential Desirable Research, Audit & Clinical Governance Essential Desirable Communication skills & abilities Essential Continued professional / personal development Essential Commitment to Trust Values and Behaviours Essential
- Provide, and develop further with clinical colleagues, neurology services for the Trust in collaboration with colleagues in all disciplines including primary and tertiary care, where appropriate, to provide an integrated service for patients.
- Take ongoing responsibility for patients under his/her care.
- Provide a consultation service and advisory service to other clinical colleagues in other specialties within the Trust and Primary Care.
- Participate in the development of the neurology service, treatment protocols and guidelines and the greater knowledge in the management of neurology
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with medical colleagues in other specialties and participate in regular clinical meetings and other post graduate activities.
- Participate in the on-call rota on an equal basis with consultant colleagues to ensure that appropriate emergency services are provided out-of-normal working hours.
- Take responsibility for the professional supervision and development of trainee doctors within the specialty, this will include the appraisal of SHOs and SpRs within the specialty of Neurology.
- Develop and maintain good communications with General Practitioners and appropriate external agencies.
- Demonstrate a firm involvement in Clinical Governance, Risk Management and Clinical Audit this will include the development and maintenance of appropriate systems and practices to ensure continued safe clinical practice.
- Ensure own practice is up-to-date; this will include taking responsibility for own Clinical Professional Development and participating in the Trusts Performance and Annual Review system.
- Share responsibility for data protection arising out of the use of computers.
- Comply with all relevant Trust Policies and Procedures.
- Take responsibility for improving and complying with infection control practices