BMJ invites applications for the post of
Editor-in-Chief of BMJ Open Respiratory Research
BMJ Open Respiratory Research is an online-only open access journal publishing original research and review papers across all areas of respiratory, critical care and sleep medicine. It is the open access companion to Thorax, published by BMJ in partnership with the British Thoracic Society. BMJORR is indexed in MEDLINE, PubMed Central, Scopus and Science Citation Index, and has an impact factor of 5.054 (JCR 2021) and Citescore of 4.7 (Scopus 2021). The journal emphasises robustness of methodology and scientific rigour and has a focus on patient and public partnership.
The ideal candidate will be a respected clinician–researcher with editorial experience and a strong vision to advance the journal’s reach, impact and influence internationally. They will appoint and lead the editorial team, actively promoting and strengthening the journal while upholding the highest standards of editorial and professional practice
About the role
The Editor-in-Chief has overall responsibility for the content and editorial strategy of the journal, in line with the business plan, with support from their appointed editorial team and BMJ publishing staff. The successful candidate should have stature in the field of respiratory medicine, a distinguished publication record, and experience of working in a senior editorial role for an academic journal. The Editor-in-Chief should expect to spend the equivalent of half a day per week on journal activities.
The main responsibilities of the Editor-in-Chief include, but are not limited to:
- Providing the highest possible quality of scientific content to augment the knowledge and practice of clinicians in the field
- Developing and maintaining an internationally relevant and coherent strategy and vision for the journal
- Building and maintaining a supportive team of international colleagues to serve as members of the editorial board and reviewers
- Encouraging submission of high quality papers
- Ensuring the integrity of the review process and providing
- guidance to authors, reviewers and editorial team members as appropriate
- Developing procedures for effective review of scientific manuscripts to ensure timely and excellent support is maintained for authors and reviewers
- Adding value to the journal by commissioning editorials, reviews and online content
- Supervising responses to appeals, complaints, suggestions from readers and ethical problems regarding published work
- Overseeing the social media strategy for the title
- Working collaboratively with the Editors of Thorax and other BMJ journals to optimise article transfers
As Editor-in-Chief you will benefit from:
- Competitive annual honorarium
- Full training and support from BMJ publishing team
- Professional advice and guidance on all aspects of journal publishing
- Membership of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE)
- Attendance at the annual BMJ Editors Seminar in London
- Access to BMJ content, including The BMJ and BMJ Learning
- The chance to shape the field and play a role in the development of the specialty
We welcome applications from all interested parties and nominations of qualified candidates. International and joint applications are encouraged.
The editorship is an independent contractor position and the term of office is five years, with the possibility of a two-year extension.
How to apply
Please send a full CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the role. Please include the following in your proposal:
- Vision for the future of the journal under your editorship
- Your plan to grow the volume of high-quality articles published in the journal.
- Vision for a comprehensive strategy to ensure a diverse and inclusive approach to submissions, authorship, methods, and specialty representation
- Outline of previous journal or editing experience
Please direct any questions or applications to Henry Spilberg, Senior Publisher by clicking the Apply Now button, with the subject line ‘BMJORR Editorship’.
The deadline for applications is 30 September 2022. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held by videoconference in October 2022.
BMJ (bmj.com/company) is a global healthcare knowledge provider with a vision for a healthier world. We share knowledge and expertise to improve healthcare outcomes. You may know us as the publisher of one of the world’s most cited general medical journals, The BMJ. We also publish over 70 specialty journals, many of which are the most influential titles in their field. We also offer digital professional development courses and clinical decision support tools to help medical institutions and clinicians tackle today’s most critical healthcare challenges.