A thoracic surgeon is a surgeon sub-specialist providing attending and consulting surgical services to patients of all age group and maintains efficient and effective care of this patient group as part of an integrated program of curative and preventive medical services.
Incumbents are responsible for attending ambulatory and hospitalized patients of any age group, including cases of all degrees of complexity, which are within their competence and expertise. Surgeons work at JHAH Dhahran hospital facility to meet established medical ethical and legal rules in the field of thoracic surgery and by observing practices and procedures as required by Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare.
Reports to, and is under the supervision of the chair of cardiovascular institute. The applicable sub-specialty provides day-to-day work including management and evaluation of the quality of patient care within their clinical privileges approved by the Credential & Privileges Committee, the chair of cardiovascular institute be informed of unusual problems or action taken regarding unusual cases, within their clinical privileges approved by the credentials & Privileges committee.
Daily contact with patients and their families, also to interact routinely with other medical and para-medical staff in performance of duties.
- Performs professional duties of a Thoracic Surgeon sub-specialist and provides expert medical- surgical care for ambulatory and hospitalized patients.
- Makes daily rounds related to assigned patients in the hospital, performs general and special examinations in the field of surgical sub-specialties.
- Serves as consultant to other medical services on in-outpatient cases, and to the intensive care unit.
- Assumes after hours responsibility for the care of surgical cases and make daily rounds for those hospitalized.
- Adheres to the Bylaws, Rules, and Regulations of the Medical Department and assures that work performed is in keeping with established standards of the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals.
- Makes recommendations to supervisor regarding the medical repatriation of patients.
- Participates in and contributes to in-service activities such as lectures, conferences and to keep current on latest techniques, procedures and drug therapy.
- Participates in quality Improvement activities.
- Supervises the work of staff physicians and interns and provides evaluation to the Chief of the services.
- Consults with Anaesthesiology regarding the technique of anaesthesia to be used.
- Participates in Hospital Committee functions as assigned.
- Keeps confidentiality of the patient’s disease and does not provide any medical summary if not authorized by the Medical Liaison Office and does not release information about patient over the telephone.
- Graduation from recognized medical school followed by one-year internship.
- Board certification in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Saudi Board), US, royal college of physicians and surgeons of Canada, or United Kingdom.
- Experience in all phases of general surgery and trauma surgery; at least three years of practice limited to surgery since certification.
- Two to three years sub-specialty training in thoracic surgery with board sub-specialty or eligibility or equivalent certification.
- Fluency in English.
- Three (3) years of experience post Completion of specialty training.
Certifications/Other requirements as applicable
- Participate in teaching and educational activities of junior staff, medical students and interns.
- Keep up to date with knowledge and skills required to perform duties safely.
- Maintain adequate continuous medical education credits as required by hospital and licensing authorities.
For further information and to apply please click the Apply button.