This role will be supported by a £12,000 relocation allowance.
Consultant Psychiatrist for Older People
Providing responsible clinician input to the inpatient functional wards and intensive community support team
Julian Hospital, Norwich
We are looking for an enthusiastic and innovative consultant to join our established older people's inpatient services at the Julian Hospital in Norwich. There is an opportunity to make an interesting and stimulating job plan combining an intensive community support role alongside overseeing an inpatient functional ward
Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust provides child, adult and older adult mental health services as well as learning disability, wellbeing and eating disorder services across Norfolk and Suffolk. We are committed to delivering quality driven mental health services. Every individual makes a valuable contribution. We are proud of our staff who have been commended by CQC for the care they provide.
Main duties of the job
The Consultant will focus on 1 ward (Sandringham ward, 15 beds) working alongside a non-medical RC covering a second ward (Blickling ward), with some cross cover and joint working between the 2 senior clinicians. The Consultant will supervise the work of junior doctors on Sandringham ward in addition.
There is also the opportunity to provide Consultant oversight to a well established older people's intensive support team on the Julian Hospital site, supporting the early discharge of people from the wards into the community.
The successful post holder will need to be flexible in approach and enjoy working across inpatient and community settings, as well as being collaborative in approach working with senior nursing colleagues and newly developed non-medical RC senior clinicians
There is a well established structure at the Julian site, and good colleague support. There is a strong older person's psychiatrist group in the trust as well as regular meetings with the senior medics in the care group with a thriving MSC locally.
There are lots of reasons to come and work with us in NSFT.
We can provide:
- Relocation allowance/removal benefit
- Protected 2.5 SPA time
- Friendly and supportive colleagues
- Support and encouragement to develop areas of special interest
- Subsidised gyms and free physio service
- Strong education reputation, close ties with Cambridge University and the University of East Anglia
- Well established county wide teaching programme and links with ELFT joining the monthly Barts academic afternoons
- Access and encouragement to partake in research and a well-established research network in the Trust
- A strong Quality Improvement programme with support for QI projects, audit and service development
- Study leave budget £600 PA
- Clinically led, innovative services with opportunities to develop into management roles with clinical lead, ACD and CD post opportunities
- Flexible working opportunities, some remote working is possible within the job plan
This post is to provide Consultant Psychiatry input to the older peoples functional inpatient wards at the Julian Hospital in Norwich with the opportunity to work across inpatient and community roles, providing some oversee to the intensive support team in the community, facilitating early discharge and providing an alternative to inpatient admission
Job Description accessible after clicking apply.
- Entry on the GMC Register
- Approved Clinician Status
- Section 12(2) Approved under the Mental Health Act (MHA)
- Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCST
- 3 years or equivalent medical experience
- 6 months experience in relevant clinical area
- Evidence of knowledge of diagnosis, treatment + management of complex mental illness
- Effective team working
- Leadership qualities
- Driving Licence/able to travel independently
- A clear understanding of Clinical Governance
- Demonstrate a commitment to open review of practice
- Experience of supervising junior medical staff
- Teaching and presentation skills