ULHT has five full time substantive Respiratory Physicians and a further three Locum Respiratory Physicians. Consultants undertake Outpatient Clinics at their base sites, either Lincoln County Hospital, Pilgrim Hospital Boston or Grantham District Hospital. Those Consultants based at Pilgrim Hospital also undertake Outpatient Clinics in outlying hospitals at Skegness and Spalding.
It is anticipated that new appointees will bring sub-specialist interests. A Medical Thoracoscopy Service commenced in March 2013 and undertakes procedures of all patients within the trust. We would like to provide EBUS within the Trust, and there is a business case progressing for this, which we aim to deliver within the next year. There is one full time, and one trainee, Pulmonary Physiologist to deliver lung function testing, nitric oxide measurement, exercise tests and Methacholine challenge.
In summer 2021, a multi-million pound investment in Lincoln resulted in the establishment of a state-of-the-art Respiratory Support Unit (RSU) that will adhere to GIRFT recommendations and British Thoracic Society standards, ensuring that patients in Lincolnshire receive the best possible respiratory care. The unit has ten side rooms (4 negative pressure), a pleural room, and an 18-bed respiratory ward (Witham Ward).
Main duties of the job
It is anticipated the initial contract would be for 10 PA's including 1.5 sessions supporting professional development.
The Appointee will be expected, in conjunction with his / her colleagues, to provide a comprehensive acute service to the Lincoln Site and an Out-Patient Service to the Lincoln, Louth and Gainsborough sites.
We have a dedicated pan-trust Respiratory on call which is currently 1 in 8, with weekends split one day on the Lincoln site and one day on the Pilgrim site. We are hoping to recruit additional consultants with a view to eventually being able to provide cover on both days on both sites. This attracts 1.07pa fixed commitment and an on call supplement of 5%.
We are delighted to offer these exciting opportunities to become part of our Respiratory team. We are looking for enthusiastic Consultant Respiratory Physicians to join our existing team of Consultants to support the expansion of Respiratory Medicine Services across ULHT.
Due to the expansion, the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust (ULHT) is able to offer an additional recruitment and retention bonus for successful candidates for 2 years.
In addition, through our growing teaching status and close networks with the Lincoln Medical School through the University of Nottingham, we have been awarded capital funding to take forward plans to develop new medical education facilities at our Lincoln and Boston sites. Our education centres at Lincoln and Boston will provide excellent modern facilities for undergraduate medical students on clinical placements and junior doctors to learn alongside our clinicians delivering frontline care.
Our mission is to provide outstanding care, personally delivered.
As a specialty, our desire to provide an excellent standard of care across all our sites has fostered a great working relationship between our nursing and medical staff.
As a valued member of our team, you will receive the full support of the Trust and the Directorate to develop specialist areas of interest in line with Divisional business plans and the development of services generally within the Trust.
What were looking for ..
Entry on Specialist Register in General Internal Medicine and Respiratory Medicine
Current valid full GMC registration
MRCP or equivalent
MD or other Higher Degree, a Diploma/Qualification in teaching and peer reviewed publications would all be desirable.
The appointee will be expected to work flexibly and be responsible for day to day patient care.
The post holder will be expected to partake in teaching activities for junior doctors in training and medical students.
The Job Plan and duties will be reviewed and updated on a regular basis in line with demands of the service.
- Entry on Specialist Register in General Internal Medicine and Respiratory Medicine
- MRCP-SCE Respiratory
- Current GMC with licence to Practice
- Advanced Life Support
- Higher Research Qualification
- An appropriate higher degree, eg MD, PhD or equivalent
- Independent bronchoscopist
- Chest ultrasound
- Clinical experience in Respiratory Medicine
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for the management of acute medical emergencies
- Specialist interest within respiratory medicine
- Evidence of contribution to effective clinical audit and clinical risk management
Teaching and Training
- Experience of undergraduate teaching and post graduate training for doctors and other disciplines
- Understanding of the principles and applications of clinical research
- Willingness to initiate and participate in respiratory research
- Evidence of original research
- Evidence of understanding of the role of clinical management
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload effectively
- Ability to plan strategically and to exercise sound judgment when faced with conflicting pressures
- Ability to motivate and develop the multi-disciplinary team, balancing departmental and personal objectives
- Management training or qualification
- Evidence of leadership in the development of clinical services
- Evidence of developing a high quality, high performance service
BMJ Ref: BMJ-85562/357-CGR-662-22