This is an exciting opportunity for a Specialty Doctor in Dermatology (with view to extend) to join our forward thinking and friendly Dermatology team.
Provision of a specialised Dermatology Service to the local population supported by experienced Medical, Specialist Nurse, and Nursing colleagues and of a comprehensive service utilising our full range of diagnostic and therapeutic facilities and as much of the service locally as possible, minimising inconvenience to patients and ensuring ease of access.
The Dermatology Unit has excellent links with the Plastic Surgery Department, situated within the Trust and is the hub of the Lancashire Cancer Network and is the central base for local Plastic surgeons, with whom Dermatology has developed close working relationships with and hosts the specialist skin MDT meeting.
Please note that the job plan in the job description is a sample, the specifics of which will be required to meet the needs of the service but can be discussed and negotiated with the candidate.
Main duties of the job
You would provide direct care to patients; contribute where appropriate to multi-disciplinary teams and take part in the co-ordination of care for patients within CDH and RPH as well taking an active role, in conjunction with colleagues, in the planning, development and delivery of the Dermatology Service for the Directorate.
You would assume a continuous commitment for the care of patients, even if employed less than full-time, and ensure that adequate arrangements are made for leave and off duty periods and promote high professional standards of clinical care for patients, both through direct patient care and by the maintenance of continuing professional development and continue to maintain links with General Practitioners operating in the area, as well as contributing to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. The Dermatology department diagnoses and treats the whole range of inflammatory skin conditions and skin cancers in adults, as well as providing guidance for in-patients with Dermatology conditions. We provide a specialised Dermatology service to the local population supported by experienced medical, specialist nurse, and nursing colleagues. Our comprehensive service also utilises our full range of diagnostic and therapeutic facilities.
As you may know the Government passed legislation requiring vaccination as a condition of deployment which was due to come in from 1 April 2022. However on the 31Jan 2022 the Secretary of State has announced that this is being reconsidered. However, whilst we wait for further guidance, as a Trust we have made the decision to continue to gather vaccine status during our pre-employment stages should you be made an offer, no offer would be conditional upon you having a vaccine but we need to make you aware that if the decision is taken by the government to implement mandated covid vaccines in the future then your employment may be at risk if you do not have these.
Vaccination against is the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and, of course, your patients from the virus. NHS England and NHS Improvement have always been clear that staff have a professional duty to be vaccinated.
The Dermatology department is situated at Chorley and South Ribble Hospital, in a purpose-built accommodation and is an integrated unit providing clinic rooms, a minor operating theatre, secretarial staff office, and treatment rooms with narrow-band UVB and UVA cabinets etc.
LTHTR comprises Royal Preston Hospital (RPH) and Chorley District Hospital (CDH), with easy transit and regular shuttle buses. The post is based in the purpose-built Dermatology Outpatient and Treatment Centre, at Chorley District Hospital, where all Dermatology clinics are held. Ward referrals are at both sites. The weekly Regional Specialist Skin MDT is on Teams.
There are excellent schools of all types in the area.
Chorley and Preston are located respectively just off junction 8 of the M61, and junction 32 of the M6, so they are just an hour from the Lake District, 40 minutes from the Yorkshire Dales, a commutable 25 minutes from the beautiful trough of Bowland, 30 minutes from the Lancashire coast, and 30 minutes from Manchester.
Please refer to the attached Job description, Person specification and Specialty/ Trust Brochure for further details on:
- What we can offer
- Job Plan/On-call Requirements
- The Team
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- MBBS or equivalent
- Higher Medical Degree (MD or MSc) or ChM
- Willing to work towards a CESR
- MRCP or non-UK equivalent
- RCP(UK) Specialty Certificate Exam, Dermatology
- CCST or equivalent Inclusion on the GMC Specialist Register or eligible for entry within 6 months of interview
- Effective communication skills.
- Works well within a multidisciplinary environment.
- Examples of good organisation skills.
- Meets professional health requirements in line with GMC Standards/ Good Medical Practice
Experience and Skills
- Wide experience in dermatology
- Commitment to attending Clinical Supervisor Training Course within the first 6 months of starting the post
- Trained Clinical Supervisor
- Evidence of Clinical Leadership
- Evidence of commitment to audit and improving clinical practice/service development
- Management course/ certification Computer skills
Research and Development
- Evidence of interest in personal development e.g. through research and/or publications
- Evidence of peer reviewed publications
Aptitudes and Skills
- Commitment to working as part of a clinical team.
- Teaching skills for both medical and paramedical disciplines