We are currently looking for a motivated doctor with an interest in General Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology to work in our General Medicine Department based at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest.
This post will form part of a team delivering General Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology supporting the development of sub-speciality interest to the hospitals and community, so designated with responsibility for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness.
Applicants must possess full registration with the GMC and should have completed at least four years full time postgraduate training at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in a relevant specialty or as a FTSTA in a relevant specialty, or the candidate should have equivalent experience and competencies. Full MRCP is desirable (See person spec for more details). Suitable applicants will be at a level of expertise required for sitting the PACES component of MRCP with evidence of prior NHS experience
Main duties of the job
This post is suitable for those who would like to develop their careers either as a Non Consultant Career Grade within General Medicine and Gastroenterology or who wish to consolidate their experience before moving on to other senior roles. The department of medicine has a consistent track record (with 70% pass rates) for supporting doctors post core medical training onto the middle grade rota and in supporting completion of MRCP exams and applications for NTN's in chosen specialties. We have PACES examiners within our department and you will enjoy excellent working conditions including a new Clinical Skills Laboratory, and Postgraduate Medical Education Centre.
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:
- Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest;
- Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire; Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion; and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire;
- 48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres;
- Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services;
- Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.
For full details of the role requirements please see attached Job Description and Person Specification
- 4 years full-time postgraduate training
- Valid certified Advanced Life Support skills
- MRCP level 2 or full membership
- Committed to team approach
- PACES pending or booked in advance
- Wider NHS experience