This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic histopathology consultant team that is expanding. The successful applicants will be expected to provide general histology services in all specialties, working to workload point guidelines as set out by the Royal College of Pathologists. There may be opportunity to work flexibly with some at home working where feasible.
We are seeking applicants who will join us in our commitment to providing high quality diagnostics. Successful candidates will also have the ability to make a contribution to the training and development of our junior medical staff and extended role biomedical scientists.
There are 2 substantive posts available:
1 full time
1 part time
Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will join a team of 7 other Consultant Cellular Pathologists covering all aspects of general histology, working alongside an experienced team of biomedical scientists in a busy, friendly department.
The Cellular Pathology department receives approximately 22,000 histology requests and 3,500 diagnostic cytology requests per year. We work along the Workload Score Points bands based on Royal College of Pathologists Guidance. The laboratory is accredited to UKAS (ISO: 15189). The department has a fantastic mortuary facility that was built in 2011 and holds a HTA licence. The department carries out approx. 650 post-mortems each year.
There are 2 substantive posts available one offered on 10 Programmed Activities (PAs) and the other offered on 7 PAs.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is ideally situated just a forty five minute drive from Manchester. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and North Lancashire, as well as specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology patients.
As one of the United Kingdom's largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents - it's not just a good place to work; it's a great place to live. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Further afield, Blackpool also benefits from less than three-hour connections via rail to Edinburgh in the north and London in the south.
Please ensure you read the Job description and Person Specification attached to the advert in full before applying.
- Full and Specialist registration (and with a licence to practise) with the General Medical Council (GMC), or be eligible for registration within six months of interview.
- MB ChB or equivalent
- Fellowship of RCPath or equivalent.
- Applicants that are UK trained, must ALSO be a holder of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or equivalent, or be within six months of award of CCT by date of interview. Non-UK trained must show equivalence.
- Evidence of participation in CPD.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills - both oral and written.
- Effective teaching skills
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload and to delegate responsibility and supervise staff.
- Involvement and evidence of implementation of service development and managing change in a healthcare setting
- Educational qualification or working towards.
- Computer and IT skills
- Knowledge and demonstration of the Values of the Trust