We are currently looking for a motivated doctor with an interest in General Internal Medicine and Cardiology to work in our General Medicine Department based at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest.
This post will form part of a team delivering General Internal Medicine and Cardiology supporting the development of sub-speciality interest to the hospitals and community, so designated with responsibility for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness.
Applicants must possess full registration with the GMC and should have completed at least four years full time postgraduate training at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in a relevant specialty or as a FTSTA in a relevant specialty, or the candidate should have equivalent experience and competencies. Full MRCP is desirable (See person spec for more details). Suitable applicants will be at a level of expertise required for sitting the PACES component of MRCP with evidence of prior NHS experience.
Main duties of the job
There is an opportunity to develop cardiology skills in a district general hospital at Withybush. Working on 6 bed Coronary Care Unit and 20 bed cardiology ward with a team of two registrars, Physician Associate, two IMT level doctors and two F1 doctors. 3.5 wte consultants. Supported by heart failure in reach specialist nurse and a strong nursing team.
Prior experience in cardiology is preferred and eligible candidates will be supported to apply for CESR or specialty training if desired. There are also opportunities for long term specialty doctor roles.
Candidates without previous registrar level experience in cardiology would be supported into the role with a personalised development programme.
Successful candidates would expect a range of experiences in their weekly job plan including clinic, development of procedural skills and echocardiography.
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:
- Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest;
- Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire; Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion; and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire;
- 48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres;
- Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services;
- Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.
For full details of the role requirements please see attached Job Description and Person Specification
- PACES pending or booked for the future
- 4 years post graduate training
- Experience of NHS
- Additional clinical qualification
- Broad based experience in general medicine and Cardiology
- Valid Certified Advanced Life Support Skills