KGH as a University Teaching Hospital , offering significant opportunity to develop innovation within its education delivery of undergraduate teaching and expanding Medical Education and Simulation framework. We are seeking two enthusiastic individuals to assist us in the further development of our Trust-wide simulation programme. The Trust has a fully equipped Simulation Suite alongisde Clinical and Dental Skills laboratorys. Simulation-based clinical training has since become embedded into Medical Education across many divisions and the medical student curriculum.
The Fellowships is a fixed period of 12 months full time appointment, starting August 2022, working in clinical role for 60% of time and in Medical Education (Simulation) for 40% time. The exact arrangement of clinical sessions will be discussed on appointment. The posts offer exciting opportunities for doctors (who have completed at least foundation years or have the Certificate of Readiness to Enter Specialty Training (CREST) 2021), working closely with HEE and the Medical Education Department.
Main duties of the job
Working to support the delivery of clinical skills and Simulation to the MDT team of students, trainees and staff, following curriculum, supporting debrief and developing excellence in practice. The role includes delivery of simulation training sessions, both in the Simulation Suite and in-situ simulation. Time would be set-aside for the post-holder to undertake audit and / or research in the field of clinical simulation under supervision of the Simulation lead. There will be an expectation of collaborative work with Simulation Teams across the region to develop on existing Simulations Courses and create new content.
This role offers the post holder a split role where they can develop their education and academic skills alongside their clinical practice
Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest employers in the area and we are on an exciting journey.Our mission is to provide safe, compassionate, and clinically excellent patient care, by being an outstanding employer for our people. We have entered into a Group Model with neighbouring Northampton General Hospital and have become University Hospitals of Northamptonshire.
Our Excellence Values:
The post is aimed at those who wish to build on their personal teaching experience, develop expertise in educational theory and practice, and undertake supervised educational development. Although an enthusiasm for teaching is a prerequisite, no assumptions will be made about formal knowledge of educational theory or practice. Hands-on teaching will be central to the post, as will a critical engagement with educational issues around providing undergraduate and postgraduate multi-professional training in a changing context
- GMC Registration with a License to Practice
- Foundation Year Completion or equivalent including Certificate of Readiness to Enter Specialty Training (CREST) form
- Teaching qualification
- Interest in gaining a PG Cert in clinical education or simulation
Knowledge / experience
- Teaching (Medical students, peers, MDT etc
- Experience in delivery of simulation-based educational training.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; adapts style depending on audience
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Teams etc
- Conceptual and analytical skills
- Demonstrable skills in written and spoken English to the appropriate standard necessary to fulfil the job requirements.
- Ability to take independent clinical decisions when necessary and to seek advice from senior colleagues as appropriate
- Experience of organisational development / change e.g. through a quality improvement project, managerial role or as a junior doctor or student representative
- Knowledge of theory underpinning medical education, and experience in curriculum mapping