We are looking to appoint a full time substantive Consultant with General Orthopaedic and Trauma skills and a sub-specialty interests in hand surgery. This is a new service for the Orthopaedic department and the post holder will be supported in the development of the service.
The incumbent Consultant will join a team of 13 other Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons. The job will include elective work, and participation in a 1 in 12 on- call, Adult and Paediatric Trauma rota with colleague cover.
We have good links with University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire (UHCW) NHS Trust as our local Major Trauma provider. Furthermore we have a close working relationship with the Orthopaedic and Plastics department of University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust which currently provides a service for complex plastics and hand referrals. Both organisations can support the post holder in this role.
This position will be contracted for 10 Programmed Activities (PAs).
Main duties of the job
Development of specialist hand pathways for trauma and elective pathways will be encouraged and supported by the Clinical Director
Fixed sessions will include sessions spent providing outpatient clinics across KGH main site, Corby, Wellingborough and the new Nene Park development in Irthlingborough. Clinic session time includes travel to the outlying clinics where applicable.
Duties other than those specified will be in accordance with the Job Plan to be agreed with the appointee, the Clinical Director and the Chief Executive, and will allow time for administration, teaching, clinical audit and Continued Professional Development.
Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest employers in the area and we are on an exciting journey. Our mission is to provide safe, compassionate, and clinically excellent patient care, by being an outstanding employer for our people. We have entered into a Group Model with neighbouring Northampton General Hospital and have become University Hospitals of Northamptonshire.
Our Excellence Values:
Provisional assessment of Programmed Activities for a whole-time contract of 10 PA split between DCC and SPA.
The Job Plan will:
- be a prospective agreement that sets out a consultants duties, responsibilities and objectives for the coming year;
- cover all aspects of a consultants professional practice including clinical work, teaching, research, education and managerial responsibilities;
- provide a clear schedule of commitments, both internal and external;
- include personal objectives with details of their link to wider service objectives, and details of the support required by the consultant to fulfil the job plan and the objective.
All consultants will undergo appraisal and revalidation, comply with the terms and conditions of the organisation and ensure their statutory and mandatory training is current and compliant.
- Full registration with GMC
- Successful completion of SpR training in Rheumatology (or CCT within 6 months of AAC)
- CCT holder in Rheumatology or eligibility to be on the Specialist register in Rheumatology within 6 months
- Current certification BLS
- Effective participation in clinical audit
- Experience of post graduate and undergraduate teaching and training at an appropriate level
- Specialist interest to complement those of other consultants in the department
- Publications in recognised Medicine journals