This post is for a Senior Clinical Fellow in Urology. This is a fixed term post offering an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Medic to join a dynamic, rapidly expanding team delivering multidisciplinary acute care in St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals.
The Senior Clinical Fellow will undertake elective and non-elective work in Urology. The successful candidate will have ample opportunity in elective, non-elective, and diagnostic activity. The clinical Fellow will work with more than one consultant.
Applicants must be eligible for full Registration with the GMC at time of appointment.
Main duties of the job
The Urology Directorate has a Clinical Director and a Directorate Manager. Along with other surgical specialties, the Urology directorate forms part of the Surgical Care Group.
Whiston Hospital is the base for the Urology Directorate. Non-elective and inpatient elective activity is concentrated at Whiston Hospital. Day case treatment and diagnostic urological activity is concentrated at St. Helens hospital. Some urological clinics take place at nearby Newton Community Hospital.
This Urology department is in collaboration with its counterpart at the Southport and Ormskirk NHS Trust. The 2 departments have a joint out of hours urology on call arrangement. Two of the current consultant urological surgeons are joint appointment between the 2 Trusts. All of the consultants Urological Surgeons have complimentary honorary contracts with the 2 Trusts.
St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is the only acute Trust in Cheshire and Merseyside, and one of the few in the entire country, to achieve the title of OUTSTANDING, rated by the Care Quality Commission.
We provide a full range of acute adult services to our local population of circa 360,000 and provide tertiary services across a much wider area in the North West, North Wales and Isle of Man. We are a Major Trauma Unit and the Mersey Regional Burns Unit.
Our '5 Star Patient Care' strategy is at the heart of all that we do; supporting our vision to provide world class services for all our patients by getting it right for every patient, every time.
The Clinical Fellow in Urology will be expected to:
Contribute to the care of both out-patients and in-patients.
Participate in the urology middle grade on call rota.
Help to supervise the work of the FY2 and FY1.
Help with emergency work.
Assist in the compilation and organization audit sessions at Whiston Hospital.
Deputize during the day time for absent colleagues.
Assist with duties outside those normally roistered but which are judged to be essential for patient care, under exceptional circumstances.
- GMC Full Registration and hold current licence to practise at the time of appointment
- MBBS or equivalent medical qualification
- ATLS, Basic Surgical Skills, CCrisP
- MRCS or Equivalent
Knowledge & Experience
- 4 years' experience in general urology
- Experienced and competent in elective and non-elective General Urology
- Experience of supervising Junior Medical Staff
- Experience in audit management
- Experience of teaching basic clinic skills to undergraduates
- Experience in manging basic elective and non-elective general urology
- Ability to organise and manage clinical priorities
- Ability and willingness to participate in research and audit
- Evidence of research experience
- Ability to work in a team
- Good interpersonal skills and caring attitude to patients
- Commitment to continuing medical education
- Publications in referred journals