Join the team at Neath Port Talbot Hospital as a Consultant Psychiatrist as we develop services and work towards a 24 hr single point of admission service. It's a great opportunity to make your mark and drive positive change, with support from a multidisciplinary management team who are strongly focussed on working with clinical colleagues.
You will have overall clinical responsibility for the management of inpatients, overseeing the Care and Treatment Plans, delegating responsibility and working with the multidisciplinary team.
The consultant psychiatrist role is situated in Neath Port Talbot Hospital, which is short commute from Swansea, Cardiff, West Wales, Neath, Port Talbot, Bridgend and surrounding areas.
Accepting this role would see you join this experienced Mental Health inpatient service to provide care for men and women with mental disorders, you will focus on equipping people with the appropriate skills for returning to community living.Main duties of the job
The service has recently developed a number of regional services, additionally Welsh Government have recently approved funding to develop a 111 telephone triage service which is a first in Wales with the development of crisis care being seen as a national priority. Aligned to this, working with and developing community crisis services will be a key part of the role. The service has also recently had a Strategic Outline Case for the provision of adult acute inpatient services approved by Welsh Government and the successful post holder will be instrumental in developing the Outline Business Case with the senior management team. This will be an opportunity for your clinical voice to be heard whereby your input will be encouraged to develop the creation of new inpatient services and the interface with community teams.
The service strongly supports clinicians developing skills in other subspecialties and undertaking special interest sessions. There are a range of areas you can get involved in as we host a number of regional services including perinatal mental health services and regional medium secure services. You'll have access to excellent CPD with our own medical education centre based on the Cefn Coed Hospital site in Swansea and a vibrant academic programme, plus access to a large peer group of enthusiastic and high-calibre consultants.About us
Our values encourage continuous improvement and as such you will have the opportunity for regular career development to ensure you're on the cutting edge and at the top of your game. Additionally, the service is supportive of staff developing portfolio careers and have excellent opportunities for the successful candidate to explore opportunities in medical management, quality improvement, quality and safety, research and teaching. The Health Board has strong academic links with Swansea University and Medical School and honorary appointments exist should you wish to explore this as part of your career development. About your next employer:
You will be working for an established, forward thinking service. There is an opportunity for you to grow and move within Swansea Bay University Health Board.
There are also a range of other benefits including access to NHS retail discounts and special offers, NHS car leasing without a credit check and much more. You could be eligible for up to £10,000 in Relocation costs. To know how much you could qualify for, please contact Julie.Thomas8@wales.nhs.u
kJob description Job responsibilitiesTo be successful in this role, you will:
What you will get:
- Be medically qualified, MRC Psych or equivalent
- Be innovative and imaginative with the ability to initiate service improvement
- Have an excellent understanding of current developments in psychiatry and other aspects of mental health
- Have substantial knowledge of change management, relevant legislation, contemporary issues in mental health, knowledge of and experience in purchaser/provider contractual issues
- Competitive annual salary
- The equivalent of 33 days annual leave (pro-rata)
- Career development and training
- Opportunities to develop your special interests
- Relocation support
You can find this information in the attached documents for the job description and person specification.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- On Specialist Register with GMC as a specialist in Adult Psychiatry or eligible for CCT within 6 months
- Further relevant degree/diploma
- teaching qualification / higher qualification in medical education
- Evidence of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Teaching and training of post/undergraduate medical staff
- Evidence of initiating, progressing and completing audit
- Working as part of the management team
- Experience of research in mental health
- Previous experience of working in the NHS / experience of NHS working practices and systems
- Experience of the requirements of the role of Approved Clinician under the MHA 1983
- Leadership Skills
- Teaching Skills
Personal Attributes Essential
- Clinical skills including competence using the MHA 1983 and the MCA 2005
- Flexible and adaptable to competing demands
- Driving Licence/ability to travel between sites
- Ability to take a lead role in clinical development