We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, innovative and progressive Consultant Surgeon to join our ENT and Head and Neck Surgery team. The successful applicants will be supported to deliver and to develop sub-specialty interests to complement the existing consultant staff, with expertise in Head and Neck surgery desired. It is an exciting time at the Trust with our brand new Midland Metropolitan University Hospital due to open in 2023 and we are looking for a colleague to help shape and develop the department as we move our new home. The Trust has also recently become part of the Black Country and West Birmingham Integrated Care System and there will be opportunity to be involved in the design and delivery of services across the region in collaboration with the local departments in Wolverhampton, Dudley and Walsall. We encourage collaborative working with support and mentorship for any new colleague delivered both internally and from the wider ENT and head and neck departments across the System.
Applications are welcomed from candidates with FRCS (or equivalent) who are on the General Medical Council's Specialist Register in Otolaryngology, Head-Neck Surgery or who will be within six months of obtaining their CCT at the time of interview. Closing date
: 15th July 2022 Interview date
: 8th August 2022Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will join our growing team of 6 consultant surgeons delivering elective and emergency care including contributing to a 1 in 6 emergency non-resident on-call rota. The successful candidate will be expected to work across all trust sites and there may be opportunity in the future to work at Sites across the wider Black Country Network. The Department at SWBH is further supported by 2 Clinical Nurse specialist posts, 6 Specialty Registrars , 3 SHO equivalents (CT, GPVTS) and a team of Foundation year doctors. To support our junior team, an interest in medical education is welcome and the successful candidate will be encouraged to take additional role as educational supervisor.
Active engagement in quality improvement activity, audit and research is expected and as well as an active post graduate teaching program, the department is also committed to train the undergraduates from the medical schools of University of Birmingham and Aston University, Birmingham.About us
Sandwell & West Birmingham NHS Trust is a friendly, integrated healthcare provider focused on improving the life chances and health outcomes of our diverse population.We have three strategic objectives:
People: To cultivate and sustain happy, productive and engaged staff;
Patients: To be good or outstanding at everything we do;
Population: To work seamlessly with partners to improve lives;
We run services from Sandwell, City and Rowley Regis Hospitals, Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre, Birmingham Treatment Centre, the Lyng and Leasowes Intermediate Care Centre. Our GP practices and community teams provide care in schools, healthcare centres and at home. Our next milestone is opening the Midland Metropolitan University Hospital (MMUH), a once in a career opportunity to shape care transformation within and beyond the hospital walls. MMUH will host the busiest Emergency Department in Europe, with state of the art facilities and future development of a Learning Campus. Developing and caring for our People is fundamental.Job description Job responsibilities
We were one of the first Trusts to provide the Real Living Wage, as well as a Live and Work scheme to support people at risk of homelessness into paid work and training. We offer a range of staff benefits, health & wellbeing support and will help you to bring your ambition to life through our bespoke training and development programmes. As People is one of our three strategic objectives, we make a continued commitment to prioritise support for all our colleagues.
For more information on the job role and responsibilities, please refer to the Job Description attached.
For an informal discussion, please contact:
Group Director/ Trauma & Orthopaedic Consultant: Mr Siten Roy, Tel: 0121507 2697 firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical Director/Lead Clinician: Mr Mohammed Yousaf Mian, Tel: 07733899516 email@example.comPerson Specification Qualifications: Essential
Desirable Clinical Experience Essential
- Entry on the Specialist Register in ENT (or entry expected within 6 months from the date of interview)
- F.R.C.S or equivalent
- Clinical training and experience equivalent to that required for gaining CCT in ENT
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for the management of acute medical emergencies
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for the care of patients
Management and Administritive Experience Essential
- Special interest that complements the existing consultants in particular evidence of interest in Head and Neck Surgery
- Ability to organise and priorities workload effectively
- Ability to plan strategically and to exercise sound judgements when faced with conflicting pressures.
- Ability to motivate and develop the multi-disciplinary team, balancing departmental and personal objectives.
Clinical Effectiveness Essential
- Prior experience in a Clinical leadership role
Teaching and Training experience: Essential
- Experience of conducting clinical audit
- Ability to use the evidence base and clinical audit to support decision-making
- Ability to teach clinical skills to medical and nursing staff and other disciplines.
- The ability to appraise junior doctors and other staff.
Research, Innovation and Service Improvement Experience: Essential
- Formal training in teaching
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical problems
- An awareness of current specialty developments, initiatives and issues.
Personal Attributes Essential
- Knowledge and experience of the application of information technology to ENT
- Publications in relevant peer-reviewed journals in the last five years.
- Evidence of having undertaken original research
Other Requirements: Essential
- Energy and enthusiasm and the ability to work under pressure
- An enquiring and critical approach to work
- Caring attitude to patients
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, patients, relatives, GPs, nurses, other staff and agencies.
- Commitment to Continuing Medical Education and Professional Development
Personal Circumstances Essential
- Full GMC Registration with license to practice
- Appropriate Immigration Status (where appropriate)
- An understanding of the current NHS environment, particularly in relation to reforms, initiatives and issues.
Professional and Multi-disciplinary team working Essential
- Residence within a reasonable distance of City Hospital
- Ability to undertake clinical commitments at any of the Trust's sites.
- Ability to wotk well with colleagues and within a team