This is an exciting time for the development of the Vascular Surgical Service in the region. We are looking to appoint two Clinical Fellows to join the Vascular team, the role will be fixed term for 12 months, with the option to extend for a further 12 months.
Clinical Fellows will be treated in the same way as trainees from the Regional Training Programme. It is anticipated that the time spent working within the SEWVN will enable the appointee to improve their CVs significantly making them highly appointable in future National Recruitment rounds throughout the UK.
Main duties of the job
The appointee will be primarily based in the Major Arterial Centre in UHW and will be part of the middle grade tier of trainee doctors participating in ward, emergency department, outpatient clinics and operating theatre work alongside other middle grade trainees from the Welsh Vascular Surgical Training Programme. All middle grade doctors will be constantly under the supervision of Consultant Surgeons.
All middle grade doctors in the MAC will be required to support operating lists, outpatient clinics and assessment of ward referrals in spoke hospitals throughout the SE Wales region.
The appointee will participate in a 1 in 6 out of hours on call from home rota as the first on call point of contact for vascular emergencies and referrals. The middle grade rota will be supported by a Consultant Vascular Surgeon.
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is one of the largest Integrated Health Boards in the UK, employing over 15,000 staff, providing over 100 specialist services. Working across 6 hospital sites, we have a diverse range of career opportunities to offer. Serving around 500,000 people living in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, we are focussed on the health and care needs of our local population whilst working with our partners to develop regional services.
Our mission is Caring for People, Keeping People Well and our vision is that every person's chance of leading a healthy life should be equal. As an organisation we are unashamedly ambitious for our population's health, rising to the challenges of today and tomorrow through our 10-year strategy, Shaping our Future Wellbeing. We are contributing to a healthier Wales with great emphasis placed on innovation and improvement, learning from around the world and leading the way in clinical research. Partnership working is strong at Cardiff and Vale, and we work closely with our staff and our community.
Cardiff, the thriving Welsh capital, is a fantastic city to live and work in with an abundance of sports, arts and cultural attractions. Situated to the west of Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan offers a combination of beautiful Welsh countryside and a dramatic natural coastline. Whether city life or rural living, Cardiff and the Vale offers the best of both worlds.
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents
- Intercalated Degree
- MSc or PHD
- Academic Excellence (Prizes, merits, distinctions etc.,)
- MRCS or equivalent
- Clinical Experience
- Evidence of participation in Research and Clinical Governance
Skills, Knowledge and abilities
- Demonstrable skills in written and spoken English adequate to enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues
- Up to date with current medical practices
- Ability to take appropriate clinical decisions when necessary
- Research and Interests relevant to speciality
- Teaching Experience
Attitude, Aptitudes and Personal Characteristics
- Motivated and efficient
- Able to relate to patients, staff and medical colleagues
- Flexible, caring and hardworking
- Ability to work as part of a team
Additional clinical experience
- Previous experience working in a vascular surgical unit.
- Evidence of ability to work both alone and in a team
- Motivated and Efficient
- Committed to working as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Current GMC certificate with a licence to practise
- Satisfactory immigration status for length of contract
- Satisfactory Health Clearance
- Satisfactory DBS Clearance