Applications are invited for 2 General Surgery Consultant with a specialist interest in Upper GI Surgery.
The successful candidate will join the existing General Surgical Department at Royal Glamorgan Hospital. The post will have a flexible session programme with a general surgical emergency 'on call' commitment 1 in 7.
This post will join the team of Consultants responsible for the provision of general surgical services to Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board. The post will be based at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital in Llantrisant, but may also be required to undertake sessions across other sites within the organisation.
Welsh and/or English speakers are equally welcome to apply.
Interview date: 22nd September 2022
Main duties of the job
The post will be required to share the responsibility of providing General Surgical outpatient and inpatient care for the local population and in doing so foster excellent working relationships within and outside the General Surgical Department.
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board is part of the NHS Wales family. Our Health Board provides primary, secondary and community health and wellbeing services to around 450,000 people living in three County Boroughs: Bridgend Merthyr Tydfil, and Rhondda Cynon Taf.
We live by our core values:
- We listen, learn and improve
- We treat everyone with respect
- We all work together as one team
We are a proud local employer; around 80% of our 15000 workforce live within our region, making our staff not only our lifeblood of our organisation but of the diverse communities that we serve.
You will be able to find a full Job Description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents.
- MBChB/MBBS or equivalent
- GMC Registered
Experience and Training
- You must be on the specialist register or within 6 months of being admitted to the register for trainees, if currently in a training programme in the UK.
- Evidence of ability to take full and independent responsibility for the clinical care of patients undergoing Surgery
- Evidence of high level of skill in teaching medical, nursing and other professional colleagues in formal and informal modes
- Evidence of active involvement in risk management.
- Evidence of personal involvement in management and administrative roles in health care
Special knowledge / Expertise
- Academic achievements / evidence of familiarity with research methods which have resulted in publications in peer reviewed journals or thesis
- Good communication and empathy skills with patients
- Evidence of willingness to participate in a multi-disciplinary team environment to provide an integrated service
- Ability to work as a member of a team, both through communication and sharing workload
- Ability to cope with stressful situations including clinical crises
- Ability to prioritise and organise workload, co-ordinate staff and lead a team
- Evidence of a clear understanding of principles and practice of involving patients in all aspects of care