CONSULTANT POST IN MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY
We are excited to offer this rare opportunity for the post of Consultant Medical Microbiologist in the Eastern Pathology Alliance (EPA) department of Medical Microbiology based at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and the Norwich Research Park.
This is an exceptional opportunity to work in a cutting-edge environment that does not come around very often. If you have the experience, knowledge, and qualifications for this position we want to hear from you.
Main duties of the job
The appointment is to the NNUHFT, however the candidate will be based at both University of East Anglia and NNUH-FT.
The successful post holder, on behalf of NNUHFT, will: -
- Provide a comprehensive microbiology service for all users of the laboratory. This will include infection prevention and control advice as required when the designated Infection Prevention and Control Doctor is absent. The appointee may be considered for this role or in rotation following consultation with the Trust Executive Team.
- Give a consultation and advisory service to medical colleagues in other specialties in the NNUHFT and to GPs and other healthcare professionals in Primary Care. Out of hours (on-call) service includes provision of advisory Version of March 2022 4 services to James Paget University Hospital and Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, in addition to NNUHFT.
- Liaise with medical staff in other specialties and participate in regular clinical meetings and other postgraduate activities of the NNUHFT.
- Take part in the Royal College of Pathologists continuing medical education programme. The Trust will provide study leave expenses in line with national terms and conditions of service.
The world class facilities and exceptional work the existing staff undertake make Norwich Research Park highly respected and the fourth most highly cited UK location after London, Oxford and Cambridge. The successful candidate will become part of a team with other eight Medical Microbiologists and two Medical Virologists sharing the provision of day to day clinical microbiology and virology covering a wide and diverse area.
The EPA is an innovative and progressive collaboration that provides networked diagnostic services in Medical Microbiology, Haematology, Clinical Chemistry and Blood Transfusion to NNUHFT, James Paget University Hospital (Great Yarmouth), Queen Elizabeth Hospital (King's Lynn) and GPs and Community Services across Norfolk.
Please refer to the Job Description link to the right of the page for the full specification of responsibilities and requirements for this post.
The Advisory Appointment Committee will meet on 3rd October 2022
- Full and specialist registration (and a license to practice) with the General Medical Council (GMC) (or eligible for registration within six months of interview)
- FRCPath or equivalent.
- Further qualification such as: MRCP or evidence of equivalent qualification - -MSc -MD -PhD. -DipHIC Teaching the Teachers or equivalent
- Training and experience equivalent to that required for FRCPath
- Wide experience of clinical microbiology and infection prevention and control
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team and of balancing clinical, management and other duties
- Ability to communicate effectively with clinical colleagues, colleagues in pathology and support staff
- Ability to present effectively to an audience, using a variety of methods, and to respond to questions and queries