This post is a fixed term appointment for 23 months. The post is based at Northampton General Hospital. Overseas doctors with appropriate qualifications in cellular pathology will be considered.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will contribute to the provision of a routine comprehensive cut up service in Cellular Pathology and reporting which will be initially under consultant supervision and when deemed appropriate to be independent.
This is an 8PA post. Some flexibility will be permitted subject to agreement with the Clinical Director and Clinical Lead.
The successful candidate will undertake a range of duties under the supervision and direction of the Consultant Cellular Pathologists.
It is expected that the duties will include the dissection and reporting of major surgical resection specimens, including cancer specimens and cytology.
Duties will also include attending and presenting at relevant multi-disciplinary team meetings.
The successful candidate will be expected to take part in audit, teaching and other related subjects.
The candidate would be expected to participate in appropriate CPD, including participation in an appropriate EQA scheme for histopathology.
Appropriate study leave and annual leave will be available in accordance with the Trust policy
There is no formal out of hours on call commitment for this post.
NGH is one of the largest employers in the area and all of our divisions are committed to doing things better, with more efficiency as we update, modernise, and advance. We have also entered into a Group Model with neighbouring Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Being a large DGH with a proud history, we are big enough to get interesting cases, but small enough to care, coach and develop. With over 200 consultants, a similar number of trainees and approximately 60medical undergraduates throughout the year, NGH provides comprehensive care and extensive training opportunities.
With this in mind, we have built a state of the art emergency assessment unit (Nye Bevan building) and are developing new ways of working to streamline in-patient care and optimize working with our partners.
NGH also has a large library, gym with swimming pool, and a brand new entrance with Marks and Spencer, Subway and Costa on site.
Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for further information about the Job Plan.
- Full GMC registration or evidence of eligibility for full GMC registration
- MBBS or equivalent
- IELTS of >7.5 if qualified outside the UK or OET equivalent as accepted by the GMC
- To have completed a recognised training programme in Cellular / Histopathology
- Critical appraisal of literature. Computer literate
- A fundamental knowledge of all aspects of general pathology.
- Broad experience and sound clinical background.
- Ambition to work towards CESR and a substantive consultant post.
Audit & Research
- A knowledge of the fundamentals
- Previous audit experience in clinical practice. Knowledge of research. Publications in peer reviewed journals
- Knowledge of fundamentals of health service management
- Excellent motivation towards developing further skills in Cellular Pathology and developing a sub-speciality interest.
- An ability to work harmoniously with other members of the Cellular Pathology department and members of the multidisciplinary team
- Fluent English Speaker
- Excellent team working experience and skills
- Medical Professional level
- Honesty, integrity, appreciation of ethical dilemmas