CONSULTANT ANAESTHETIST (GENERAL) x 2
We are looking to recruit two Consultant Anaesthetists to our department at Northampton General Hospital. The successful applicant will join an existing team of 42 consultants, 6 speciality doctors and 37 junior doctors. Our department is fully committed to training and personal development and actively participates in hospital activity with many of us in trust lead roles. The Associate Medical Director for Safety, Chair of IT and Chair of Medical Equipment Committee are anaesthetists. A number of us have major roles outside the trust: Four consultants are Royal College Examiners, one examiner for Irish College and one EDAIC examiner.
It is essential that the post-holder should hold the FRCA (UK) or an equivalent qualification and be on the GMC specialist register or will obtain a relevant CCT/CESR(CP) within 6 months of interview.
It is expected that the successful applicants will work in all theatre areas to an agreed job plan. The indicative job plan is shown in table. Once appointed, the exact job plan will be agreed between the appointee and the Clinical Director on behalf of the Medical Director.
For further details regarding this role, please see attached
Main duties of the job
It is expected that the successful applicants will work in all theatre areas to an agreed job plan. The indicative job plan is shown in table. Once appointed the exact job plan will be agreed between the appointee and the Clinical Director on behalf of the Medical Director.
Please see attached JD for further information.
NGH is one of the largest employers in the area and we are on an exciting journey. All of our divisions are committed to doing things better, with more efficiency as we modernise and advance. We have also entered into a Group Model with neighbouring Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
With over 200 consultants, a similar number of trainees and approximately 60 medical undergraduates throughout the year, NGH provides comprehensive care and extensive training opportunities.
With this in mind, we have built a state of the art emergency assessment unit (Nye Bevan building) and are developing new ways of working to streamline in-patient care and optimize working with our partners.
NGH has an excellent social centre with a large library, gym with swimming pool and the Cripps Education Centre where lunch and snacks are available away from the main hospital. Frequent educational sessions run in the Centre for all levels of staff and it serves as an oasis from the clinical areas.
The job involves 6 day-time theatre sessions a week on an average. This direct clinical care activity adds up to 7.5 programmed activities (PAs). The on-call commitment is currently 1 in 16 attracting 1.5 PAs and on-call availability supplement. All consultants are paid 1.5 PAs per week for supporting professional activity to allow for participation in teaching, training, CPD, audit, appraisal, clinical management and governance activities. A further one PA is available to those who take up additional departmental responsibility not covered under basic SPA.
For further details regarding this role, please see attached JD.
- MB BS or equivalent
- Full GMC registration
- Eligible for entry/entered on the specialist register of the General Medical Council in Anaesthesia
- FRCA or equivalent
- CCT in Anaesthesia, or within 6 months of CCT at date of interview
- Evidence of a higher training module in obstetric anaesthesia or equivalent
- Membership of Specialist Societies
- MD or equivalent
- Further postgraduate qualifications
- Experience of anaesthetic management of a wide range of general, obstetric, head and neck, orthopaedic, emergency, trauma and major surgery
- Advanced training in obstetric anaesthesia or equivalent
- Experience of audit or quality improvement project
- Willingness to actively participate in departmental audit/quality improvement
- Presentation at recognised national and/or international meetings
- Published/ on-going relevant research
- Experience of and commitment to postgraduate teaching
- Evidence of training for teaching
- Understanding of current education processes and requirements for training in Anaesthesia and ITU
- Evidence of attendance at anaesthesia meetings
- Medical education qualification
- Commitment to teaching of undergraduates and al-lied health professionals
- Evidence of achieving GMC standards for Educational Supervisor role