This appointment is a new piece in our expanding and ambitious Oncology service, and you could make a real difference to patients' lives by joining our team. At the heart of our organisation are dedicated staff, and we are committed to recruiting the best people to work with us and achieve our vision of providing Best Care for Everyone. Our success depends on the commitment and dedication of our staff, many of whom are nationally recognised leaders in healthcare, teaching and research.
Main duties of the job
This Medical Oncology post will cover the Hepatobiliary, Breast, and Carcinoma of Unknown Primary origin services in Herefordshire and Gloucestershire. Other subspecialty sites can be accommodated according to the successful candidate's interests and experience. A discussion in this regard is strongly encouraged. The job plan may, therefore, be subject to change after consultation with and agreement of the appointee, to ensure the requirements of the department and the individual continue to be met. The successful candidate will be expected to continue the established links with site specialised teams through the appropriate multidisciplinary team meetings. The appointee will be encouraged to participate in the departmental philosophy of entering patients into clinical trials wherever possible. Further strengthening and development of multidisciplinary teams is anticipated.
The post holder will maintain and foster links with the multi-disciplinary staff groups within Oncology, the Palliative Care teams, colleagues in Medical and Surgical specialities, and colleagues in primary care.
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust (GHNHSFT) was formed in April
2002 and became a second wave Foundation Trust in July 2004. We are a large organisation providing acute services from Gloucestershire Royal Hospital in Gloucester and Cheltenham General Hospital. In collaboration with the other NHS Trust in Gloucestershire (Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust - GHCNHSFT - who provide physical health, mental health and learning disability services), we provide Oncology services across Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, parts of Powys, and Worcestershire.
Our workforce is almost 8,000 strong. Our caring and dedicated staff are recognised as providing outstanding patient-centred, high quality emergency, elective and specialist care across a range of clinical areas. It is a warm, collegiate, and patient-centred hospital.
The appointee will be expected to:
- Take responsibility for the delivery of high quality non-surgical clinical oncology care
- Examine and treat patients in accordance with agreed Department, Regional Cancer Network and Trust wide policies
- Work with local and regional MDT colleagues to ensure the most appropriate care is delivered to patients in a timely way
Please view the job description for further details.
- Full General Medical Council registration
- Entry on the Specialist Register as a clinical oncologist or eligibility for entry within 6 months of the date of the advisory appointments committee
- CCT or CESR-Combined Programme; proposed CCT/CESR-CP date within 6 months of interview
- MRCP/FRCP or equivalent
- Higher qualification in Medicine
- Research degree (MD/PhD)
- Additional qualification in Quality Improvement, Medical Education, or other pertinent expertise
- Evidence of expertise in the areas of special interest relevant to the Job Plan
- A full understanding of clinical risk assessment
- Clear logical thinking showing an analytical/scientific approach to clinical practice
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- Experience in Medical Education
- Participation in clinical audit including completion of audit project
- Understanding and experience of Clinical Governance and Quality Improvement
- A willingness to accept shared responsibility and provide leadership
- Awareness of current relevant developments within the wider NHS
- Determination to have a key role in establishing and developing the service
- Training of junior doctors and Specialist Registrars
- Active involvement in clinical trials
To apply, please click the apply button.