The Royal Cornwall's Hospitals Trust is looking to innovate the future of Ophthalmology by creating a virtual RVT consultant post in Glaucoma. This exciting new post can be delivered anywhere within the UK or further afield. Equipment will be provided.
A virtual model delivered outside of the county is a first for Cornwall secondary care. We are looking for the right person to help us establish virtual care in Cornwall.
Main duties of the job
Maintenance of the highest clinical standards in the management of ophthalmology patients.
- To actively participate in both departmental and Trust matters concerning Clinical Governance and Audit.
- To work with the Specialty Management team to ensure that services are delivered efficiently and reflect best practice with processes and governance to match - this is a new role and will involve full virtual delivery of a service that is currently delivered byconsultants within the Glaucoma service.
- To attend meetings as appropriate.
- Fulfill duties of weekly timetable.
- To ensure the provision of good standards of practice and care as described in the GMC Guidance 'Duties of a Doctor' are followed at all times; and that bad practice is reported.
- To ensure that clinical practice is both effective and efficient and that appropriate monitoring of clinical care takes place.
- To work with the Specialty Management team to ensure that services are delivered efficiently and reflect best practice with processes and governance to match - this may require new and flexible ways of working in the future.
- To provide continuing responsibility for the care of patients under their care and for the proper organisation and functioning of clinical practice.
- To take responsibility for ensuring that critical clinical incidents, as defined in the Trust's 'Critical Incident Policy', are reported in a timely manner.
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust is the biggest provider of healthcare services in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Our three main sites are Royal Cornwall Hospital Truro, St Michael's Hospital Hayle and West Cornwall Hospital Penzance, our staff and services are available across the region.
The Trust employs 5,000+ staff, has a budget of £380 million and 750 beds
We work with health and social care organisations including !NHS Kernow and NHS England !to ensure local healthcare needs are met. We provide acute medical, surgical and specialist services to around 500,000 ! which can increase significantly during busy holiday periods.
The Trust has teaching hospitals status as part of the University of Exeter Medical School. Keeping at the forefront of medical advances, we continually developing clinical services and are committed to maximising the range of specialist care offered locally.
We can offer you a rewarding career in a supportive working environment. We have extensive educational links to help you realise your full potential and develop skills to provide outstanding healthcare to the local community.
Enjoy an outstanding quality of life in a place that offers surfing beaches and fishing harbours to beautiful countryside and historic towns. With clean air, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities and excellent schools, colleges and universities (including adult education) it is the ideal place for families and for you to develop your own career.
PLEASE NOTE: To view the full Job Description and Person Specification, please click the supporting document on the right hand side
To be an employee of the NHS you need to successfully complete the following:
- Identity Checks
- Professional registration and qualification checks
- Employment history and reference checks
- Work health assessments
- Criminal record check standards
- Right to work checks
For further information please visit:
Agency interest will not be considered until this advert has closed
- GMC registration at time of appointment and hold a current licence to practice
- GMC Specialist Register or within six months of obtaining CCT (or equivalent)
- MBChB or equivalent
- FRCOphth or equivalent
- Completion of training or fellowship in Glaucoma
- Teaching (Medical students/peers/MDT)
- Experienced in Clinical Audit and Clinical Governance
- Medical retina completeion of management skills
- Completion of train the trainers course
BMJ Ref: BMJ-73216/156-MS-3261B