This is a substantive appointment available from January 2022 arising from retirement of an existing consultant
The successful applicant will undertake 5 rheumatology clinics per week which will include General Rheumatology, Early Arthritis and GCA clinics. The successful applicant will see rheumatology ward referrals, provide advice and guidance to GPs and support queries arising from the broader rheumatology team which include specialist nurses and a rheumatology pharmacist.
This is an excellent opportunity within the Rheumatology department at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, based at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, which enjoys a unique geographical location close to London and Cambridge. We enjoy a reputation for our commitment to the highest standards of care, but also for our friendly and supportive approach.
Main duties of the job
It is essential that the candidate applying for this post has broad experience in common Rheumatological disorders including inflammatory arthritis, soft tissue disorders and connective tissue diseases and that they are competent in the management of patients biological therapies. We would wish to encourage applicants with sub-speciality and clinical research interests to apply for this position. We have a newly evolving research strategy within the department and there is the possibility for the appointee to explore research collaborations, for example with the University of Hertfordshire and the Essex and Herts Local Research Network.
WHO ARE WE?
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
ABOUT OUR HOSPITALS
Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- provides a full range of outpatient, inpatient, emergency, maternity and diagnostic services
- have a designated trauma centre
- provides a 24/7 heart attack service
- have the biggest renal dialysis service in the region
- is working to become a hyper acute stroke unit
- is the only robotic urology surgery training organisation in the country
The post holder will work alongside our 6 outstanding Rheumatology nurses and our Rheumatology pharmacist all of whom are based at the Lister but provide cover across the Trust sites. Our most senior nurse practitioner has recently established an Annual Review service for inflammatory arthritis patients and we are looking to extend this into the primary care arena. The practitioner is also the regional nursing representative for the East Anglia Rheumatology Society providing out team with strong senior nursing support and guidance. Two of our nurses are accredited for joint injections and for prescribing and we also have 2 nurses who are chemotherapy trained. We have developed the role of lead nurse for newer anti-rheumatic treatments whose primary remit is the assessment and management of patients on biological therapies.
In addition to supporting the existing service the appointee is encouraged to put forward their ideas about how the service could be improved and developed.
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or, provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- College Membership (MRCP) or qualification of an equivalent level
- Postgraduate academic degree
- College Fellowship
Clinical Expertise in Speciality/Subspeciality
- Broad range of experience in Rheumatology in particular: o Experience of General Medicine o Fully competent in Rheumatology and General Medicine
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to teach clinical skills
- Computer literacy and general IT skills
- Participation in research
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
Fitness to Practice
- Up to date and fit to practice safely and aware of own training needs
- Evidences engagement with appraisal and revalidation