We are looking for dynamic Physician Associates (PAs) to facilitate the new model of clinical care and best practice and to act as ambassador for this role within Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. PAs are being introduced to help meet the current and future needs of patients referred to Barnet Hospital and to complement the existing varied and specialist clinical roles. Qualified PAs will be appointed within Care of the Elderly/ Stroke wards at Barnet Hospital. There may also be a requirement to work on Rainbow ward or one of the other Elderly Care wards looking after COVID positive patients as part of core duties.
Main duties of the job
It is envisaged that the role would be developed flexibly over time in accordance with the needs of the service and candidates' own interests. Successful candidates will be offered the opportunity to develop their clinical skills and knowledge with the support from team of clinical and allied healthcare professionals and annual 50 hours continuing professional development required for maintaining PA professional practice and revalidation within the Faculty of Physician Associate at RCP. There will be opportunity to contribute to audit, research and teaching within the department. PAs will be line managed by a designated Consultant and a nominated deputy, as mentor to overview career development and appraisal. All members of staff are expected to demonstrate our world class care values.
All members of staff are expected to demonstrate our world class care values. A quote from one of our present PAs is as follows:'Barnet has been a great place to start as a newly qualified PA. It is a friendly and welcoming hospital in general, but is also very receptive to PAs and I've found there is a lot of scope to develop the role as required within each team.'The trust can offer assistance with finding accommodation and there are wide range of benefits including on site leisure facilities, day nurseries and access to great transport systems with easy access to airports and rail travel. This is an exciting time to be working at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, one of the biggest NHS Trusts in the UK, delivering care to more than 1.6 million people a year through our three main hospitals: Barnet & Chase Farm Hospital in North London and Royal Free Hospital at Hampstead.'The trust can offer assistance with finding accommodation and there are wide range of benefits including on site leisure facilities, day nurseries and access to great transport system with easy access to airports and rail travel.
Experienced and newly qualified PAs are encouraged to apply and it is not expected that the post holder will have had experience working in the appointed area of clinical speciality before joining. PAs will undergo a period of training and supervision prior to undertaking work under delegated autonomy. PAs will become involved in the activities of the department, including review of inpatients, assessment of acute admissions where they will be required to examine patients, initiate and interpret investigations, recommend treatment, complete necessary documentation and perform clinical procedures.
Royal Free World Class Value
- Demonstrate ability to meet the trust value
- Postgraduate Diploma/ Master in Physician Associate (formally Physician Assistant) from an accredited UK University
- Bachelor degree in Life science/ Biomedical/ Nursing or Allied Health Science
- Member of Faculty of Physician Associate at Royal College of Physician
- Member of Physician Associate Managed Voluntary Register (PAMVR)
- Valid national certification and recertification every six years as stipulated by PAMVR
- Current and valid certification with the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Experience working as a Physician Associate in hospital or in community setting
- Experience in clinical audit
- Experience in mentoring students
- Good verbal and written communication skills and able to communicate complex and sensitive information to patients, relatives or carer
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Commitment to CPD & professional development
- Strong organisation and prioritisation skills
- Interest in learning and developing new clinical/ surgical skills
- Basic or Advance Life Support
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this r
To apply, please click the apply button.