East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust invite applications for a fixed term appointment pending substantive recruitment based at Lister Hospital in Stevenage. The post comprises 10 programmed activities (PAs) and an on-call commitment.
The successful applicant will have expertise in the resuscitation, stabilisation and ongoing management of critically ill adults. The Critical Care Unit sees a wide range of medical and surgical emergencies, including regional specialties such as renal medicine, urology and tertiary cardiology. You would contribute to the teaching of junior medical staff and some nursing staff.
Main duties of the job
The post is a split post with direct clinical care sessions in both General Critical Care Medicine and Anaesthesia; applicants with single ICM CCT or other second specialty would be welcomed and an early informal contact is advised.
The surgical specialties include General Surgery, Urology, Gynaecology, Vascular Surgery, Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery, Plastic Surgery, ENT Surgery, Vascular Surgery and Obstetrics.
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
ABOUT OUR HOSPITALS
Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- provides a full range of outpatient, inpatient, emergency, maternity and diagnostic services
- have a designated trauma centre
- provides a 24/7 heart attack service
- have the biggest renal dialysis service in the region
- We have a hyper acute stroke unit which has been established for over 5 years,
- is the only robotic urology surgery training organisation in the country
The post will include an average of 5.5 days per week, which in practice will be an average over the 4 week timetable period and undertaking a variety of theatre work (or base Speciality work) , both elective and emergency. The post holder will be expected to be flexible in their approach to working patterns, undertaking theatre work (or base Speciality work) on any site when required.
- Maintenance of high quality patient centred care
- Shared responsibility for the day to day management of the service and participation in strategic planning
- Teaching and training within the multidisciplinary service
- Active involvement in multidisciplinary team meetings and directorate clinical governance activity
- Full GMC registration with a licence to practice.
- FRCA, MRCP or FRCEM or qualification of an equivalent level
- Advanced competencies in ICM (or equivalent)
- CCT or equivalent in ICM
- Postgraduate diploma in ICM (or equivalent)
- Postgraduate academic degree
Clinical Expertise in Speciality/Subspeciality
- Experience in management of patients in ICU and HDU at a senior level
- Demonstrable training and experience in Critical Care procedures.
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to teach clinical skills
- Participation in research
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
Fitness to Practice
- Up to date and fit to practice safely and aware of own training needs
- Evidences engagement with appraisal and revalidation