An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Weston Division at University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust as a Consultant in Acute Medicine. This position will be based at Weston General Hospital which accommodates 38 Acute Care inpatient beds, an Ambulatory Emergency Care and a busy Emergency Department.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Acute Physician to continue the developments within acute medicine to support the Trust in improving how it handles patients arriving for potential admission with the aim of delivering timely safe care as well as increasing the numbers of early discharges.Main duties of the job
This post holder will be part of the acute medicine team that supports Acute admissions pathways, including care of medical patients as a post take role within the Emergency Department.
This post will help to continue to facilitate the change from a traditional firm based rolling rota for admissions to an acute medicine pattern with new admissions being assessed early by consultants, identified as short stay, or in need of specialty input and placed as such.
The post is advertised as a 10 PA post, but candidates wishing to be considered for a position with fewer sessions are welcome to apply. There will be an opportunity to provide outpatient clinics based on the successful applicant's area of specialty.
The appointment of this position will be part of the 1 :11 current consultant on call rota.About us
University Hospitals Bristol & Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, with a workforce of over 13,000 staff and 100+ different clinical services across 10 sites, serving a population of over 500,000 people across Bristol and Weston. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to patients. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust, committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact.
Join us and you can enjoy city living, be in the countryside or by the seaside, with easy access to all the South West offers. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
As an equal opportunities employer, actively working towards a diverse workforce, we aim to create a workforce that represents the diversity of our community and are committed to designing our services around the needs of patients and their loved ones. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.
Please note: If you are considering applying for a role with the NHS it is important that you are aware that it is a legal requirement to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, by the 1st April 2022 for all patient facing roles and roles within patient facing areas including incidental contact (unless validated as medically exempt).Job description Job responsibilities
The appointee will be responsible for the development of Acute Medicine along with their acute medicine colleagues. The key objectives are to reduce number of unnecessary admissions, develop same day emergency care pathways, reduce patient length stay and enhance the transfer of patients to the sub-specialties. There will be a strong commitment to teaching Junior Staff the principles of acute medicine, this will occur as the opportunity arises on a day to day basis with acute patients, as well as dedicated directorate teaching.
Please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancyPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
- GMC Full Registration.
- MRCP / FRCP / MBBS (or equivalent).
- For permanent position - Holder of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Acute or General Medicine or within six months of award of CCT by date of interview.
- Teaching or training qualifications.
- For Locum position 12 months- Holder of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Acute or General Medicine or within six months of award of CCT by date of interview.
- Experience of leading acute admitting medical team.
- Experience of working with allied professions.
- Experience of audit in acute or general medicine.
- Experience of teaching both post and undergraduate students and professions allied to medicine.
Clinical Knowledge and Skills Essential
- Experience of educating support staff.
- Ability to take on full & independent responsibility for clinical care of patients.
- Skills in teaching under & post graduate students.
Clinical Governance and Audit Essential
- Knowledge of research techniques in clinical medicine.
- Knowledge of the use of patient databases and IT websites.
- Understanding of clinical governance and the individual responsibilities it implies.
- Knowledge of the principles of clinical audit and evidence of participation.
- Positive approach to evidence based practice.
- Participation in continuing professional development (CPD) scheme and, where relevant, evidence of participation.
- Knowledge of the principles involved in research.
- Evi BMJRef: BMJ-58160/387-WD-1089-LP-C