An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Weston Division at University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust as a Consultant in Respiratory Medicine with General Medicine. This position will be mainly based at Weston General Hospital which accommodates 252 inpatient beds, an Ambulatory Care Centre and a busy Emergency Department.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Physician to join the existing team of 2 consultants to provide a Consultant led acute hospital general respiratory service. There is a commitment to General (Internal) Medicine. The successful candidate will develop special interests, to extend the spectrum of respiratory services offered or to support services being currently developed in the department. The post holder will undertake a total of 3 respiratory clinics per week.Main duties of the job
The appointee will be responsible for the development of Acute Medicine along with their acute medicine colleagues. The key objectives are to reduce number of unnecessary admissions, reduce patient length stay and enhance the transfer of patients to the sub-specialities. There will be a strong commitment to teaching Junior Staff the principles of acute medicine.
The post is advertised as a 10 PA post, but candidates wishing to be considered for a position with fewer sessions are welcome to apply. The appointment of this position will be part of the 1:11 current consultant on call rota.
The main site for this post at present is Weston General Hospital but as we move to full clinical service integration across UHBW it is anticipated that acute medicine consultants will have some element of cross-site working to be determined through the job planning process.About us
University Hospitals Bristol & Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, with a workforce of over 13,000 staff and 100+ different clinical services across 10 sites, serving a population of over 500,000 people across Bristol and Weston. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to patients. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust, committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact.
Join us and you can enjoy city living, be in the countryside or by the seaside, with easy access to all the South West offers. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
As an equal opportunities employer, actively working towards a diverse workforce, we aim to create a workforce that represents the diversity of our community and are committed to designing our services around the needs of patients and their loved ones. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.
Please note: If you are considering applying for a role with the NHS it is important that you are aware that it is a legal requirement to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, by the 1st April 2022 for all patient facing roles and roles within patient facing areas including incidental contact (unless validated as medically exempt).Job description Job responsibilities
Applicants must be on the GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of their CCT, however non-UK applicants wishing to apply for specialist registration could be consider on a fixed term basis. The trust will fully support overseas candidates looking to attain CESR in the UK.
Please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancyPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
- Full and specialist registration with the GMC and MRCP/FRCP/MBBS (or equivalent)
- For permanent position - Holder of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Acute or General Medicine or within six months of award of CCT by date of interview
- Teaching or training qualifications
- For Locum position 12 months- Holder of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Acute or General Medicine or within six months of award of CCT by date of interview.
- Experience of leading acute admitting medical team
- Experience of working with allied professions
- Experience of clinical service management
- Experience of audit in general medicine and respiratory care
Clinical Knowledge and skills Essential
- Experience of educating support staff
- Knowledge of clinical governance in current clinical practice
- Ability to take on full & independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- Skills in teaching under & post graduate students
Clinical Governance and Audit Essential
- Broad range of IT skills
- Knowledge of research techniques in clinical medicine
- Understanding of clinical governance and the individual responsibilities it implies
- Knowledge of the principles of clinical audit and evidence of participation
- Participation in continuing professional development (CPD) scheme
- Positive approach to evidence based practice
- Published research and audit.