Consultant Psychiatrist in Dementia (with Relocation Allowance)
Consultant Psychiatrist for older people
Providing responsible clinician input to the inpatient dementia wards at Hammerton Court, a purpose built dementia unit on the Julian Hospital site, Norwich
We are looking for an enthusiastic and innovative consultant to join our established older peoples inpatient dementia services at the Julian Hospital in Norwich.
Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust provides child, adult and older adult mental health services as well as learning disability, wellbeing and eating disorder services across Norfolk and Suffolk. We are committed to delivering quality driven mental health services. Every individual makes a valuable contribution. We are proud of our staff who have been commended by CQC for the care they provide.
Full and part time roles offered.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for a consultant to provide responsible clinician input to the dementia wards at the Julian Hospital. The dementia wards are in a wonderful purpose build dementia unit, which provides a dementia friendly environment and pleasant ward milieu.
The consultant will focus on 1 ward (13 beds) and provide some oversight to the continuing care ward. There are 2 dementia assessment wards (Reed ward for female patients and Beach ward for male patients), there is another consultant already established and in post, there is flexibility in negotiating between the 2 consultants depending on the specialist focus of each, regarding who covers which ward etc. The consultants will be working alongside a non-medical RC with some cross cover and joint working between the senior clinicians. There is an opportunity for the consultant to supervise junior doctors on the ward in addition, there are established speciality doctors in post.
The successful post holder will need to be flexible in approach as well as being collaborative in approach working with senior nursing colleagues and newly developed non medical RC senior clinicians.
There is a well established structure at the Julian site, and good colleague support. There is a strong older persons psychiatrist group in the trust as well as regular meetings with the senior medics in the care group with a thriving MSC locally.
There are lots of reasons to come and work with us in NSFT.
We can provide:
- Relocation allowance/removal benefit
- Protected 2.5 SPA time
- Friendly and supportive colleagues
- Support and encouragement to develop areas of special interest
- Subsidised gyms and free physio service
- Strong education reputation, close ties with Cambridge University and the University of East Anglia
- Well established county wide teaching programme and links with ELFT joining the monthly Barts academic afternoons
- Access and encouragement to partake in research and a well-established research network in the Trust
- A strong Quality Improvement programme with support for QI projects, audit and service development
- Study leave budget £600 PA
- Clinically led, innovative services with opportunities to develop into management roles with clinical lead, ACD and CD post opportunities
- Flexible working opportunities, some remote working is possible within the job plan
Outline of main job duties/responsibilities
This text is required as part of the vacancy creation
This is a new field and will allow candidates with different accessibility requirements to be able to read and understand what the role entails.
If your job description is over the word count you may wish to consider outlining the main & specific responsibilities in the below field and uploading the full job description as a supporting document.
This post is to provide consultant psychiatry input to the dementia inpatient wards at the Julian Hospital in Norwich with the opportunity to work across assessment and continuing care wards.
Full Job Description Attached.
- Entry on the GMC Register
- Approved Clinician Status
- Section 12(2) Approved under the Mental Health Act (MHA)
- Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCST
- 3 years or equivalent medical experience
- 6 months experience in relevant clinical area
- Evidence of knowledge of diagnosis, treatment + management of complex mental illness
- A clear understanding of Clinical Governance
- Demonstrate a commitment to open review of practice
- Effective team working
- Leadership qualities
- Driving Licence/able to travel independently
- Experience of supervising junior medical staff
- Teaching and presentation skills