Consultant in Paediatrics
Consultant in Paediatrics
10 PA- Substantive post
Closing Date: 20th September 2021
Interview Date: TBC
Come and join our lively Paediatric team at George Eliot Hospital. We are looking for a solid and dedicated Paediatric consultant with a Neonatal background to join us as part of an improved service model. For those with existing or aspiring leadership skills there are opportunities to develop further and have a meaningful contribution to the development of the service.
This post may close early due to high numbers of applications so you are advised to apply promptly.
All correspondence for this vacancy will be sent by email; please check your account regularly including your Junk and SPAM areas.
A great and friendly place to work, so bring your passion, commitment and expertise and enjoy the opportunities to make a difference every day. #JoinTeamEliot
Main duties of the job
You will be joining our team at an exciting time with significant service developments and investment in Paediatrics. The team are driven by the ethos that nothing is unachievable and patients and staff alike stay at the heart of every days work.
Applicants for a substantive Consultant post must be on the GMC Specialist Register, or be within six months of your CCT date at the interview date. Full requirements are outlined in the job description attached (visible on NHS Jobs, click Apply to view).
What we can offer you?
Individual special interests are harnessed in our department so those wishing to pursue interests in specialist areas are welcome.
You will have the opportunity to enjoy the variety of clinical practice that comes from working in a busy district general hospital whilst developing your own special interest both clinically and non-clinically. There are also opportunities for those with an interest in training and development.
Here at George Eliot our vision to excel at patient care takes centre stage. An ever evolving clinically-led acute service provider we are on a journey to continually provide high quality, safe and responsive services delivered by inspiring, friendly and compassionate staff who share our corporate values which underpin everything we do. Our values are not just words on a piece of paper, they bond us together, reflect our ambition and shape who we are:
Effective Open Communication
excellence and safety in everything we do
Challenge but support
Expect respect and dignity
Local health that inspires confidence
Benefits: On-site nursery, 27 days minimum annual leave plus bank holidays, cycle to work scheme, flexible working, on-site discounted gym, extensive in-house course learning directory, buying and selling of annual leave, subsidised restaurant, tranquillity garden and generous subsidised on-site parking.
- To provide, with Consultant colleagues, general Paediatric and Neonatal services within George Eliot NHS Trust for the prevention, diagnosis and management of illness and the proper functioning of the department
- To undertake General Paediatric Outpatient Clinics and other special interest clinics as appropriate to the skills/interests of the post holder and as agreed at annual Job Planning
- The post holder undertakes to perform additional duties in occasional emergencies and unforeseen circumstances
- Undertake administrative duties associated with the care of patients (including activity data as required) in line with Trust Policy.
There is scope for a motivated consultant to take the lead in shaping the future of the service and for special interests to complement the team including cardiology and safeguarding.
About the Team and the Trust
The Childrens Department is undergoing significant changes in the next few months. There are dedicated clinical areas:
- Level 1 Special Care Baby Unit within the Consultant Led Maternity Unit.
- CAU, currently located within ED but with aspirations for development.
- Outpatient Clinics
Nuneaton itself offers all the advantages of urban living with easy access to the beautiful countryside nearby and good wider transport links. The George Eliot serves a population of about 300,000 from Nuneaton & Bedworth, North Warwickshire, South West Leicestershire and Northern Coventry. It serves a catchment population between the major hospitals in Coventry, Leicester and East Birmingham and has good working links with the specialist services at tertiary units in Birmingham and Leicester.
The region has very reasonable house prices, and a large choice of very good state and private sector schools in the area, make this an ideal setting for a family home. There are numerous villages within easy driving distance of the hospital for those who prefer a rural setting. Its a great place to bring up a family, have a great quality of life and a great place to work.
We are committed to balance well-being and professional interest throughout a career in Paediatrics at the George Eliot. We are delighted to offer an interesting yet life-style compatible 1:8 Consultant of the Week rota. This consultant is responsible for all the patients seen by the Paediatric team in the hospital for a consecutive period of either 4 week days (Monday - Thursday) or 3 weekend days (Friday Sunday). The week is split to provide better work-life balance. The Consultant of the Week will have no other routine commitments such as clinics. An example 10PA work schedule is included in the Job Description.
The post is offered on a full-time basis; however, the Trust would welcome discussion with individuals looking for a more flexible working pattern to support a different work life balance. The post-holder (full-time or part-time) will be expected to take part in the full on-call rota.
- Up to date competence in Practical skills in neonatology
- Ability to work as part of the healthcare team
- Willingness to adapt to service developments
- Good time-management skills
- Willingness to take part in teaching and provide close supervision of junior staff
- Full GMC Registration with license to practice
- Eligible for inclusion on the GMC Specialist Register as a Paediatrician or within 6 months of obtaining Specialist Registration on the date of interview
- APLS/EPLS and NLS Provider (or equivalent)
- Training and experience in general Paediatrics (minimum 3 years at Middle Grade level or equivalent)
- Training and Experience in child protection, with Level 3 Safeguarding Training (or equivalent)
- An area of experience or special interest to complement those of the existing paediatricians
- Training and Experience of multi-disciplinary and multi-agency working