- Full Time
Applications are invited for the post of Consultant Dermatologist. This is a Substantive appointment for a new post and will start at an agreed date on appointment. The post will be largely based at Herford County Hospital in Hertford but with inpatient responsibilities at the Lister site. The post comprises programmed activities as indicated in the time tables and has no on-call commitment.
This is an excellent opportunity to join the Dermatology department at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust. The successful candidate will join a service that prides itself on effective leadership, innovative thinking and excellent team work. We strive to challenge our existing working practices and to constantly improve our service to deliver best practice guidance and to ensure that our patients out comes are successful and that they feel valued by visits here at the Trust.
Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will join a team lead by a Consultant Dermatologist who is supported by 2 locum consultant dermatologists on CESR scheme, 1 locum consultant Dermatologist, 1 Associate Specialist and 1 GPSWI. There are 3 Dermatology Specialist Nurses and 3 phototherapy nurses in post.
The post holder will have SPA time available to attend monthly dermatology meetings in London at the Dermatology Section of the Royal Society of Medicine, which is held on the third Thursday of each month and the St Johns Dermatology Society, which is held on the first Thursday of each month at Guys Hospital in London. They will also be able to attend other clinical and educational meetings that will allow our new appointments to function within a peer-supported group and to be part of established audit, clinical governance and professional development structures. The opportunity also exists for new colleagues to establish links with other Trusts for professional development and governance.
WHO ARE WE?
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- provides a full range of outpatient, inpatient, emergency, maternity and diagnostic services
- have a designated trauma centre
- provides a 24/7 heart attack service
- have the biggest renal dialysis service in the region
- is working to become a hyper acute stroke unit
- is the only robotic urology surgery training organisation in the country
Hertford County Hospital
- Provides outpatient, antenatal and diagnostic services for local people.
- 24/7 urgent care centre, where £30 million has been invested in building a new hospital with beautiful, modern facilities.
There is an exciting opportunity to develop a Dermatohistopathology service within the dermatology department. We are looking to develop our consultant led phototherapy service and create a clinic for hair dermatoses.
Applicants must be on the Specialist Register for Dermatology, or be within 6 months of doing so, at the time of interview. Applications from those wishing to work part-time or job share are welcomed.
It is essential that the candidate applying for this post has broad experience in common Dermatological disorders including dermatology emergencies, inflammatory dermatoses and cutaneous cancers and that they are competent in the management of patients biological therapies. Have the ability to undertake minor surgery. We would wish to encourage applicants with sub-speciality and clinical research interests to apply for this position.
It is imperative that you also attach your CV to your application as this is an integral part of the application process. Please ensure to supply the names and addresses of referees. This must cover a period of 3 years with no gaps, one of whom must be your current employer.
- Comprehensive knowledge and insight with regard to all the domains within the GMC standards of 'Good Medical Practice'
- Understands and is able to demonstrate the values of the NHS Constitution
- Able to evidence engagement with clinical governance, the identification of errors and the learning from errors
- Able to show situational awareness and application of good decision making
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving changes in practice
- Demonstrable skills in written and spoken English, of a standard to enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues, evidenced by undergraduate medical training undertaken in English or, IELTS score above 7.5 overall or alternative supporting evidence
Fitness to Practice
- Up to date and fit to practice safely and aware of own training needs
- Evidences engagement with appraisal and revalidation
- Meet professional health requirements as outlined in GMC 'Good Medical Practice'
- Supports the Trust's values and is able to demonstrate and provide examples of behaviours in keeping with the PIVOT values
- Formal training and/or qualification in management and administration
- Participation in research
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
- Ability to critically appraise published evidence
- Experience of audit, Evidence based practice and clinical quality improvement initiatives
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to teach clinical skills
- Experience in organising educational activities
- Broad range of experience in Dermatology in particular experience in management of cutaneous cancer with surgical skills and experience of biological treatments
- Ability to offer and be accountable for, full and independent expert diagnostic opinion
- Demonstrates an interest and commitment to the specialty
- College Membership (MRCP) or qualification of an equivalent level
- Postgraduate academic degree
- College Fellowship
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- Hold a current licence to practice from the GMC
- Be eligible to work in the UK