Consultant General & Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon
Applications are invited for the post of Consultant General & Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon with an interest in benign conditions. This is a new substantive post to join an established and cohesive GI team ofColorectal andUpper GI surgeons in a busy teaching hospital and major trauma centre. General Surgical services are delivered by a unified department across the Royal Preston and Chorley & South Ribble Hospital sites.
Prospective applicants should be able to demonstrate experience and recognised training in the provision of Upper Gastro-intestinal surgery, including advanced laparoscopic surgery. The successful candidate will be expected maintain a practice in Upper GI and emergency general surgery.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be one of 20 Consultant General Surgeons working across the two hospital sites to provide Emergency General Surgery and elective Upper GI services.
They will have an interest in Upper GI benign conditionsand will be expected to take a share of the elective/emergency general surgical work in the department. The post also includes cover of Consultant colleagues where necessary owing to leave commitments.
The Royal Preston Hospital has been the centre for oesophago-gastric cancer for the Lancashire and South Cumbria Cancer Network since April 2009, with most benign upper gastro-intestinal work being carried out at Chorley and South Ribble Hospital.
Emergency surgical patients are admitted to the Royal Preston Hospital where a 1:20 Consultant rota will be in operation from January 2022. Outpatient clinics, day surgery and basic endoscopic procedures are carried out on both sites. The Acute & Specialist Surgery Clinical Business Unit also delivers a wide range of Vascular and Urology services.
The post holder will:
- Conduct theatre lists, clinics and endoscopy sessions and participate in the ward care of emergency surgery and elective patients.
- Take an active role in the management of General Surgery patients including laparoscopic cholecystectomy surgery.
- Have a specialist interest in benign Upper GI surgery.
- Partake in a 1 in 20 on call rota for General Surgery, based at the Royal Preston Hospital, as well as covering Chorley District Hospital. The post holder will also take part in an additional 1 in 10 sub-specialty duty rota.
- Take part in management of Major Trauma. LTH is a regional Major Trauma Centre. Supporting this is a consultant-led trauma team and the successful candidate will be part of this team during the day-time and provide out of hours support as required when on-call.
We would be happy to answer any queries you may have regarding this post and any enquiries should be made with Paul Turner, Clinical Director of Upper GI Surgery Tel: 01772 523595 or via email: Paul.Turner2@lthtr.nhs.uk
Informal enquiries and requests to visit the Hospitals are welcome and should be made, following shortlisting, with Dr. Geraldine Skailes, Medical Director and Kevin McGee, Chief Executive (01772) 522692.
Our team is our work family. At Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, you will be working as part of a collaborative, friendly and caring team of incredible people who are committed to providing excellent care with compassion. We celebrate diversity, encourage everyone to contribute, and you are valued for whoyou are.
Our mission is to provide excellent care with compassion.
The applicant must have demonstrable skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking in English that enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues, as set out in the GMCs Good Medical Practice (2013). Non-UK applicants must possess the IELTS/OET exam before obtaining a GMC licence to practice.
If you are successful in obtaining a position with our Trust which involves working with patients, you will be required to undertake a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check. As a registered body with the DBS, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will conduct the administration of this application on your behalf and the cost will be recovered from your salary, either as a one-off payment or over 3 months. Currently the charges made by the Disclosure and Barring Service for an Enhanced DBS checkis£48.20.
Successful applicants will be contacted by e-mail. Please ensure that email addresses are provided for your referees wherever possible.
As we often have many applicants for jobs at LTHTR, we regret that we will only be able to contact those applicants who are short-listed for interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, then please assume that you have not been short-listed for interview on this occasion.
The NHS Constitution outlines what staff working in the NHS can expect from their employer and what is expected of you. Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to the NHS Values and Pledges as expressed in the Constitution.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. An interview is guaranteed to any applicant with a disability who meets the essential criteria of the person specification.
If you have any difficulty applying on line, please contact the Medical Workforce Team
NO UNSOLICITED ADVERTISING COMPANY APPROACHES.
- Wide experience of general surgery and specific training in upper gastro-intestinal surgery and at least year 5/6 SpR training or equivalent in a Specialist Unit.
- Experience in diagnostic endoscopy is essential and the ability to deal with a wide range of elective and emergency general surgical conditions.
- Advanced laparoscopic training
- Evidence of commitment to audit.
- Examples of involvement in service development.
- Management course / certification.
Research and Develpoment
- Evidence of peer reviewed publications
Attitudes and Skills
- Examples of commitment to working as part of a clinical team Effective communication skills and good organisation. Works well within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Teaching skills for both medical and paramedical disciplines. Advanced communication skills course completion.
- Meets professional health requirements in line with GMC Standards / Good Medical Practice.
- Resident within 30 minutes of travel to Chorley/Preston.
- Full GMC Registration MBBS or equivalent FRCS or equivalent Inclusion on the specialist register/admission within 6 months