Southwark CAMHS – Child and Family Service – 6 months fixed term post (with the possibility of a further 6 months’ extension).
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Child and Family service, part of Southwark CAMHS, for a full time fixed term Specialty Doctor in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, based at Mapother House. This is a full time post within Southwark CAMHS, primarily with the Child and family Service but also with dedicated time with the CAMHS Early Help Team.
The Southwark Child and Family service is a well-established, dynamic and highly successful service, which works closely and collaboratively with other agencies including education and social care. It offers a comprehensive range of multidisciplinary assessments, interventions, liaison and consultation for children and young people under the age of 12 who registered with a GP in Southwark. The team has an open access policy accepting referrals from all sources including self-referral by families. The team comprises staff from a variety of disciplines including child psychiatry, psychology, nursing, family therapy, art psychotherapy and social work. The team provides comprehensive assessments and evidence based treatments for the emotional, behavioural and psychiatric disorders of children aged 0-12, including cognitive-behavioural therapy, parenting work, family therapy, art psychotherapy, trauma-focused work and medication if indicated clinically. There are regular family therapy and parent-and-child game clinics. Outreach is provided if indicated. Much of the work is carried out at the clinic base, but home and school visits are offered when needed. Team members offer consultations to other colleagues/agencies where appropriate. Outcome data is collected on all cases. The team has trainees from different disciplines on placement. Team members may be involved in research or in helping recruit patients to ongoing research programmes.
The CAMHS Early Help team provides early intervention to children and families (0-18) and is integrated with Southwark Family Early Team.
The post does not include any out of hours on call commitments. In light of the COVID restrictions, clinical work is carried out using Microsoft Teams, whenever clinically appropriate. Clinical supervision to the post holder will be provided by the Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist who is also the line manager for the post. The team also offers placements to Core and Higher Trainees on the SLAM/Oxleas Training scheme.
About the role:
We are looking to appoint a specialty doctor with excellent organisation and communication skills and the ability to work independently but also seek advice and guidance as appropriate from the clinical supervisor and members of the MDT.
The key areas of responsibilities are:
- To carry out mental health & risk assessments on children & young people and to manage these situations effectively.
- To use pharmacological interventions, as appropriate, in partnership with children and their families and networks of care.
- To assume responsibility for own case list and case management of children and families, with support from the clinical supervisor.
About the location:
Mapother house is based on the Maudsley site. The Trust headquarters is located at Denmark Hill less than 5 minutes from the train station (zone 2).
We are committed to ensuring our staff get the most out of their benefits package and understand the importance of a healthy work life balance. There is an extensive range of excellent benefits for you and your family. We want you to feel like you are part of a close knit team at SLaM. It’s important to us that you valued and appreciated and that are why we have a comprehensive benefits package on offer
Some of our benefits are highlighted here:
- Generous pay, pensions and leave. We offer a comprehensive pay, pensions and leave package which is dependent on the role and length of service.
- Work life balance. We support a range of flexible working options, such as: part-time working and job sharing.
- Career development. There are plenty of opportunities to progress your career and we support your development through a number of programmes such as mentoring, coaching, positive people management, collective leadership and other talent programmes.
- Car lease. Our staff benefit from competitive deals to lease cars.
- Accommodation. Our staff benefit from keyworker housing, which is available on selected sites.
- NHS discounts. With discounts of up to 10% from a variety of well-known retail brands through the Health Service Discounts website.Other benefits include:
- Counselling services
- Wellbeing events
- Long service awards
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare vouchers
- Staff restaurants
We look forward to receiving your application.
For further details / informal visits contact: Dr Anto Ingrassia - Consultant Psychiatrist - Email address: Anto.Ingrassia@slam.nhs.uk - Telephone number: 0203 228 7777 Additional contact information - If you would like further information about this post, please contact Dr Anto Ingrassia, Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist by email: Anto.Ingrassia@slam.nhs.uk