NHS Locum Consultant Paediatrician with Subspecialty Epilepsy
Due to forth coming maternity leave we are looking for a keen and motivated paediatrician with sub-speciality interest in epilepsy to join our busy and dynamic team from end of May 2021 for 9 months.
This is a 9.5 PA job, 8 PAs are for direct clinical care and 1.5 PAs are for supporting activities. The department runs a Consultant of the Week rota and the Consultant of the Week covers both the paediatric and neonatal service with support from the other consultants.
Main duties of the job
The Department of Paediatrics provides hospital-based in-patient and out-patient acute paediatric care, including level 2 neonatal services.
The successful candidate will contribute to consultant daytime service delivery in paediatrics and their subspecialty interest at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and at satellite clinics in Wisbech in conjunction with consultant colleagues.
The current post holder has 1 PA included in the job plan working with the community paediatric team.
The successful candidate will support our consultant delivered acute Paediatric service. The Rota comprises a 1 in 8.5 acute Consultant of the week (including provision of support to the Level 2 Local Neonatal Unit). In addition, the consultant will participate in the 1 in 8.5 on call Rota (non- resident nights and non-resident weekend, supporting the resident Middle Grade Tier Paediatrician
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Kings Lynn NHS Foundation Trust is a 488 bed hospital which offers a chance to live and work in a beautiful region with its own distinctive mix of urban, rural and coastal landscapes, all within easy reach of Norwich, Cambridge, London and the Midlands. We serve an expanding population of around 300,000, which, increases substantially during the summer through the popularity of the surrounding countryside and beaches for leisure and holidays. We are a welcoming and friendly hospital that is devoted to our vibrant diverse community. We know where we are going, and want inspirational, compassionate and caring individuals to join us on this journey.
Great care can change everything and here at the Queen Elizabeth NHS Foundation Trust we want to deliver truly brilliant integrated care. Just like you we are ambitious about what we do and we are continually striving to improve our patients experience and outcomes.
Job description Job responsibilities
We are looking for a keen and motivated consultant paediatrician with sub-speciality interest in epilepsy and preferably subspecialty interests in neurology and neuro-disability to join our busy and dynamic team.
You will be expected to:
- Deliver high-quality services for children and young people regularly benchmarking to improve practice
- Maintain and develop a special interest in epilepsy
- Work to strengthen links with primary and community colleagues including development of guidelines and care pathways
- Represent the trust in the East of England paediatric epilepsy network (EPEN)
- Assist in training as well as clinical and educational supervision of doctors in training, mentoring of specialty doctors and enhanced nursing roles and to contribute to training of medical students attached to the department
- In conjunction with colleagues contribute to the departmental teaching programme
- In conjunction with colleagues contribute to the departmental clinical governance activities
- Make a positive contribution to the management and financial strategies of the Trust in line with our values and Behavioural Standards Framework
- Meet waiting time targets
- Be willing to undertake additional responsibilities at local, regional or national levels
- A wide experience in general paediatrics and neonatology Child protection training and experience Subspecialty interest in Epilepsy and neurology Ability to teach clinical skills
- Subspecialty experience at tertiary level in area of special interest Experience of risk management programmes Experience of educational supervision of Foundation year doctors and Specialty trainees
- Entry on GMC Specialist Registrar with CCT in General Paediatrics (or CCT expected within 6 months of interview) MRCPCH or equivalent
- Higher degree, MD, MSc PhD Instructor in Neonatal Life Support Instructor in APLS/EPLS