Junior Clinical Fellow (Lower Level) in Trauma and Orthopaedics
An exciting opportunity has arisen for Full Time Junior Clinical Fellows (Lower Level) in Trauma and Orthopaedics.
The post will be based at one of these hospitals on a 6-month rotation.
- New Grange Hospital, Cwmbran (acute trauma & emergency)
- Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport, South East Wales (Orthopaedic elective),
- Orthopaedic Elective Surgical Unit at St Woolos Hospital, Newport, South East Wales
- Nevill Hall Hospital & Ysbyty Ystrad Mynach (Orthopaedic elective day surgery unit)
Posts are available to commence from November 2020 for a fixed term period of up to 12 months initially, with potential for extension up to a maximum of 2 years following a successful formal review.
The post would suit applicants who would like to improve their Core Training experience in acute and elective Trauma and Orthopaedics or are looking for definitive appointment at the registrar level with the post providing a broad overview of the different subspecialties in Orthopaedic Elective Surgery and Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery.
Working at senior house officer level, the post holder will be attached to a team of 5 consultants providing an acute trauma service rotating to the Elective units to gain experience in elective Orthopaedic surgery every 6 months. All consultants are subspecialists (Spine surgery, Shoulder & Elbow, Hand & Wrist, Hip and knee replacement, Soft tissue Knee surgery, Paediatric Orthopaedics, Foot & Ankle surgery & Orthopaedic Trauma) and opportunities are available for extensive experience in Trauma & Orthopaedics.
The progressive department is staffed by 30 Consultants which includes:
- Current British Orthopaedic Association council member
- Past Chair of British Orthopaedic Association Chair
- Past President of British Foot and Ankle Society
- Past President of British Shoulder and Elbow Society.
- Editor Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma
The other Staff include 2 Associate Specialists, 4 Specialty Doctors, 8 Specialist Registrars, 7 Senior Clinical Fellows (SpR grade), 4 Core Surgical Trainees, 6 FP2 and 16 Junior Clinical Fellows (SHO Level).
There is plenty of opportunity for research and audit. Junior doctors are encouraged to get involved in Audit projects which are presented at monthly Clinical Governance meetings.
The Grange Hospital is a new multispecialty acute hospital with a planned opening date in November 2020.
If you have any queries regarding the post please contact Mr Ulfin Rethnam on 01633 238623.
THIS IS A NON TRAINING POST
The applicant must hold or be eligible to hold full registration and a licence to practise with the GMC.
This position involves Regulated Activity with children and adults as defined by the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act (amended by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012) and the following checks will be undertaken following any conditional offer:
- Enhanced check with barred list information, including an adults and children’s barred list check
Course Funding: Please note that unless agreed by the Division in advance, course funding is not available for Clinical Fellow or fixed term cover for training grades.
Closing Date for Applications: Midnight on 11th October 2020