Thank you for your interest in the role of Consultant in Orthogeriatric Medicine Somerset
Applications are invited from accomplished and enthusiastic individuals with general geriatric medicine and orthogeriatric experience (GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCT) to join our highly regarded and innovative team.
Why should you choose this post?
- The Trust’s Fracture liaison service has been awarded an international gold standard for osteoporosis care. The trust recognises the importance of the growing population of older persons who experience major trauma, which is an area of future development. There is an unique opportunity to develop integrated primary and secondary care pathways for patient population included an integrated falls pathway.
- You will be joining a friendly team of 11 consultant Geriatricians and 2 associate specialists. We regularly have excellent feedback from trainees from Bristol and Plymouth (the highest GMC score for training in the southwest).
- As our alliance is planning on merging the acute and community trusts this is a great time to join and be involved in shaping the services we provide. We think that this is an exciting time to be a geriatrician in Somerset with lots of opportunity to shape your future career.
- Our trust is currently rated as ‘good’ by CQC.
- There are numerous opportunities for research and quality improvement.
Currently the service provides:
- Inpatient care to 5 acute medical ward areas
- Acute frailty services
- Well developed subspecialty services (Orthogeriatrics and Osteoporosis, Parkinson’s disease, Continence, Surgical liaison (POPs), Dementia and delirium).
- Outpatient clinics including rapid access clinics
- Community hospital clinics and inpatient support
Why should you choose Somerset?
- Somerset is a wonderful place to live. Straddled between areas of outstanding natural beauty and the idyllic rolling hills of Exmoor, featuring national hotspots for cycling, surfing, and climbing such as Cheddar Gorge, there’s plenty to keep you occupied alongside the abundance of music festivals and local traditions.
- From the beaches of North Devon and Dorset, to the cosmopolitan centres of Bristol, Bath, and Exeter, you can enjoy all the perks while still being less than two hours from London. Somerset has a diverse range of shopping and restaurants, and boasting sporting arenas such as the county cricket ground regularly hosting international fixtures.
- If you have got family commitments, or are looking to settle down, Somerset offers some of the best schools in the country ranging from Public institutions such as Millfield, Queens College, Taunton School, Kings College, Wellington, and Blundell’s, to award winning state schools such as Richard Huish College which has been ranked in the top 10 of A-level providers nationally for the last eight years, through to secondary’s ranking in the top 5% nationally such as The Castle school in Taunton. There is also a focus on work/life balance and wellbeing within the trust.
- With a great educational offering, and abundance of open countryside, we think there is nowhere better.
For further details / informal visits contact:
Name Nahida Bashir
Job title Consultant
Email address Nahida.Bashir@SomersetFT.nhs.uk