Consultants Anaesthetists – General and Obstetric positions
This appointment is an exciting opportunity to join an innovative and evolving Anaesthesia department delivering multidisciplinary acute care at St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals.
The department provides anaesthetic services for elective surgery in: General Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Burns Surgery, Urology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedic Surgery and Gynaecology.
It also provides emergency anaesthetic cover for these services on a 24 – hour basis. There are presently in excess of 14 orthopaedic trauma lists, 10 daytime plastic surgery trauma lists, and 10 daytime sessions available primarily for urgent general surgical and emergency cases. There are also all-day orthopaedic trauma lists on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
The Department also provides a 24 hour epidural service for analgesia during labour, and a 24 hour anaesthetic service for obstetric emergencies including caesarean sections. Surgery in the Trust is undertaken on both the Whiston Hospital and St Helens Hospital sites
Applicants must be eligible for full registration with the GMC at the time of appointment.
Applicants must have entry on the GMC Specialist Register via one of the following:
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT)
(the proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of the interview)
- Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR)
(CESR candidates must have written GMC confirmation upon successful application)
Applicants are required to hold Membership of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (UK or equivalent qualifications).
This post will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.
St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is the BEST acute Trusts in England for the THIRD year running!
The Trust is currently the only acute Trust in Cheshire and Merseyside, and is one of few in the entire country, to achieve the title of OUTSTANDING, rated by the Care Quality Commission.
We provide a full range of acute adult services to our local population of circa 350,000 and provide tertiary services across a much wider area in the North West, North Wales and Isle of Man. We are also a Major Trauma Unit and the Mersey Regional Burns Unit.
Our '5 Star Patient Care' strategy is at the heart of all that we do; supporting our vision to provide world class services for all our patients by getting it right for every patient, every time.
Our latest achievements include:
- Acute Trust of the Year – HSJ Awards November 2019
- Trust rates Outstanding by the CQC – Inspection August 2018 and March 2019
- Best in the NHS, Patient Led Assessment of the Care Environment 2017 and 2018
- The Trust achieved top marks in the country for areas including; cleanliness, food, privacy and dignity, facilities for patients living with dementia and disabilities, conditions, appearance and maintenance of the hospital buildings.
- Top 100 places to work in the NHS (NHS Employers and Health Service Journal)
- Best acute Trust in England (NHS Staff Survey 2017,2018 and 2019)
- Best Patient Experience in the NHS (CHKS Top Hospitals Awards 2015)
In the NHS Staff Survey 2019 the Trust scored the highest marks in the following areas;
- Best place to receive treatment in the NHS (for 2nd year running)
- Top Acute Trust for treating its staff fairly with regards to career progression (for 3rd year running)
- Quality of care (best score for 5th year running)
- Staff engagement (best score for 4th year running)
- Staff morale (best score for 2nd year running)
- Bullying and harassment (best score for 2nd year running)
- Safety culture (best score for 2nd year running)
Our staff rated our Trust as the best place to work and receive treatment. The Trust has also been recognised, for the third year running, as being the top acute Trust in the entire country for staff engagement, staff motivation, and pride in the quality of care we provide to patients.
AAC Interview Date: Monday 23rd November 2020
For further details / informal visits contact:
Dr Paul Atherton, Clinical Director on firstname.lastname@example.org or contact on 0151 430 1268 or Dr Permendra Singh, Deputy Clinical Director Anaesthesia on Permendra.Singh@sthk.nhs.uk or contact on 0151 430 1267.