Consultant Psychiatrist - Permanent - 10 PAs
Croydon Adult & Behavioural and Developmental Psychiatry Directorate, Forensic Mental Health
There is an opportunity for a full-time Consultant post in Community Forensic services.
The post is based with the Croydon Community Forensic service. This provides unique opportunities for the right person, who is ambitious to develop community forensic services that better meet the needs of the people of Croydon.
The successful candidate will be joining an expanding team of highly experienced and motivated colleagues, some of whom are national and international experts in their field. We are a cohesive and collaborative senior medical group.
This post will suit someone with good communication and liaison skills and excellent psychiatric knowledge. Candidates with a special interest will be supported to develop this as part of their role.
The Croydon Community Forensic Service is served with a well-resourced multidisciplinary team including speciality doctor, social worker, CPNs and a psychologist. The team has close links with the general rehabilitation community mental health team and the first onset psychosis service in Croydon.
There is an active teaching programme conducted for the Forensic Division at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience on Friday mornings and the successful applicant would be expected to participate. The candidate will also have access to the IoPPN lectures and library facilities, as well as all the library facilities and support services at SLaM. In addition, there are opportunities to teach psychiatrists-in-training and medical students as well other multi-disciplinary staff. Candidates with an understanding of health inequality issues are particularly encouraged to apply.
The Covid-19 pandemic has been challenging but has helped us to understand that we can deliver effective services in new ways. Home-working and remote-working all enabled by smart technology provide new flexibility in how we communicate with patients, carers and colleagues. We welcome new ideas in how to ensure that we remain connected and continue to provide high quality care and are happy to support your flexible working.
The job plan includes 10 PAs including 2.5 sessions for CPD activities.
The Forensic Service at SLaM is part of a provider collaborative under the auspices of the South London Partnership (SLP). The SLP provides a clinically-led innovative model of service delivery which is improving the quality of care to patients across South London.
Key new developments over the past three years include:
- Increased shift to community-based support and care with investment in expanded services: including more multi-disciplinary staff and additional discharge co-ordinators
- New local services providing specialist support in south London, including
- community LD and / or ASD team
- dedicated women’s step-down accommodation
- community support plus team for LSU/MSU patients with high lengths of stay
- Improved Admission management: Single admissions policy, single central point of access for all new referrals
- Standardisation/reduced unwanted variation: Six new shared clinical pathways adopted and used by clinicians working in partnership across the area to assess all new patients and manage them through the new pathways, meeting regularly in cross-Trust groups
- New single prison assessment and triage service
- Improved proactive assessment and case management – optimising length of stay, investing in a new Out of Area Assessment Team to visit patients and undertake new assessments, moving patients into proactive, assertive care management on the defined pathway
- Shifting the care setting towards less restrictive settings: step-down and repatriation
- Utilisation of local capacity: maximising bed usage to shift demand and opening new local capacity within our Trusts, adding new Forensic beds.
Experience in adult psychiatry is essential and experience in forensic psychiatry desirable.
For further details / informal visits contact: Dr Shubulade Smith - Consultant Psychiatrist & Forensic Clinical Director