SPECIALTY DOCTOR IN ADDICTIONS
About the team:
If you are looking for an exciting challenge, career development and are innovative, dynamic and patient centred with an interest in research this could well be the job for you!
The substance misuse service at HMP Wandsworth operates in a busy local remand prison providing substance misuse provision to a population of 1650 inmates. Approximately 25% of these have substance misuse difficulties.
In general the clinical team has around 200 patients on an array of medication- for maintenance, detoxification and relapse prevention.
The team consists currently consists of a lead consultant addiction & forensic psychiatrist and a consultant forensic psychiatrist providing two days of substance misuse support. These in total provide 4 days of clinical input to the substance misuse services.
We have very good close working relations with colleagues in primary care and mental health and work alongside the psychosocial provider CGL to ensure a seamless integration of recovery and clinical service provision.
It is unsurprising given the creative talent at the prison that many of the senior clinician’s sit on influential offender health forums and regularly present at conferences and are part of national forums for clinicians working in prisons and secure settings.
About the role:
This new speciality doctor post is a part-time -three days a week role at a busy local Category B prison, HMP Wandsworth.
In this role you will be expected to, run substance misuse clinics with support from substance misuse nursing staff and CGL (psychosocial services).
You will receive weekly supervision from the consultant. You will be involved in patient assessments, initiation of treatment (Opioid Substitute Treatments), alcohol detoxification (Chlordiazepoxide / diazepam reducing regimes), reviews for maintenance, detox and emergencies.
You will work collaboratively with prisoners and the rest of the team to individualise care plans with special emphasis on safety, stability, and ensuring advice is given on the risks of relapse / accidental overdose for those who seek detoxification and after care planning, including on release.
The following will be central to this post:
- Providing clinical input to the IDTS & specialist clinics.
- Attendance at substance misuse team meetings.
- Attendance at the prisons monthly Drugs Strategy meetings.
- Providing clinical support and guidance to GP and mental health colleagues.
- Liaising with SLAM colleagues who provide mental health services in the prison
- Liaising with CGL who provide the psychosocial interventions at the prison.
- Participating in audit and quality improvement activities.
- Supporting visiting medical students on placement, electives and nursing students.
- Supporting training initiatives at HMP Wandsworth for clinical and custodial staff.
- There will also be multiple opportunities to have involvement with research projects, teaching and educational workshops.
About the location:
The post will be based at HMP Wandsworth which is serviced by good public transport links and is close to Clapham junction station.
Our Trust headquarters is located at Denmark Hill less than 5 minutes from the train station (zone 2). We also provide services and operate across other locations, such as London boroughs of Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark; and substance misuse services for residents of Bexley, Lambeth, Greenwich and Wandsworth.
For further details / informal visits contact: Dr Pam Walters - Consultant Psychiatrist and clinical lead - email@example.com