Specialty Doctor in Ortho-Geriatrics
- Full Time
This appointment to Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is an important part of its strategy to remain a preferred provider to local Health Authorities and Clinical Commissioning Groups across a wide range of hospital services.
A recent reconfiguration of services lead to all trauma Orthopaedic surgery concentrated on Basingstoke site. This also included our acquisition of an onsite bespoke 17 bed rehabilitation facility. This new appointment is part of a plan to improve outcomes for our elderly trauma patients and to consolidate trauma for the Hampshire Hospitals Trust on the Basingstoke site. The successful candidates will work in partnership with a forward looking and enthusiastic Orthopaedic department to deliver comprehensive care to our elderly orthopaedic/trauma patients throughout their hospital pathway.
We have recently received an accolade from National Hip Fracture database committee for achieving exceptionally low Hip fracture Mortality rate; 2 SD below national average and we would want to continue this good work with this appointment.
The role will include pre-operative assessment, liaison with anaesthetic staff, resuscitation, post-operative care and rehabilitation to be delivered as part of an Ortho-geriatric team within the Orthopaedic service. Currently there is no commitment to the general medical, care of the elderly or on-call medical rota, if interested this can be explored further. The appointee will join our Ortho-geriatric team, see later, supported by clinical nurse specialists as well as other orthopaedic middle grades and foundation doctors. There will be opportunities for flexible and part-time working as well as job sharing; this can be discussed at interview.
The successful applicants will be expected to:
- Deliver quality Ortho-Geriatric and medical services in the most effective way regularly benchmarking service to improve practice
- Continue to enhance and develop the Ortho-Geriatric service
- Work to strengthen links with GP’s and neighbouring Trusts
- Meet NHFD target for delivering best practice care in Fractured Neck of Femur patients
- Initiate and take part in regular clinical audit
- Have an active role in research
- Support the organisational aim of, Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation making a positive contribution to the management and financial strategies
The Ortho-Geriatric Service:
This is an expanding service. There are 2 consultants Physicians posts (one currently vacant) as Ortho-geriatricians. We have agreed funding for the appointment of a third one next year. There is another middle grade registrar and a foundation doctor along with two advanced nurse practitioners, a discharge coordinator and data analyst. We have a daily early morning trauma meeting and an Ortho-geriatric pre round meeting followed by daily ward rounds and mini MDTs around boards with a full weekly MDT with many audits ongoing. There may be opportunities to take part in Medicine, Elderly Care or acute medical on-calls dependent upon your interest.
The background to the appointment is one of:
- A desire to build on our reputation for good comprehensive quality care.
- A realistic approach to cost control
- A determination to meet or exceed the standards of the Patients’ Charter, the NHS Plan, NICE Guidelines and CHI recommendations
- A determination to be a successful provider in collaboration with others where relevant, of a range of appropriate services to the local community