John Bernard HawkinsBMJ 2018; 360 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k958 (Published 02 March 2018) Cite this as: BMJ 2018;360:k958
- Robert Temple
John Bernard Hawkins entered Birmingham medical school in 1958 after national service in the Royal Navy and training as a timber merchant in the family firm. Appointed consultant general physician and nephrologist to East Birmingham Hospital in 1970, he developed the dialysis service, introducing an early artificial kidney built by Lucas Industries. As a mature, married, medical student, he sold his Morgan (the first of seven) to help fund his studies and lived on a narrow boat named Thrombus, winning prizes in anatomy and surgery. Known in the navy as “Jim Hawkins” after the fictional hero, he maintained his bond with the sea with the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and as a ship’s doctor aboard the Jubilee Sailing Trust vessels Lord Nelson and Tenacious. John was a dedicated physician, held in great affection by patients and colleagues. He edited the Proceedings of the European Transplant and Dialysis Association, driving to meetings throughout Europe in his Morgan. In 1992 he re-trained as a GP and worked in Kingsbury for almost 10 years. Aged 70 he became a student again, studying bookbinding at the University of Leicester. He leaves his wife, Rosemary; four daughters; and six grandchildren.
Consultant physician Birmingham; latterly general practitioner (b 1932; q Birmingham 1963; DCH, FRCP, MRCGP), died after an intracerebral haemorrhage on 19 July 2017