Derek Charles BarkerBMJ 2016; 354 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i5122 (Published 21 September 2016) Cite this as: BMJ 2016;354:i5122
- Philip Barker,
- Sheila Barker
Derek Charles Barker (“Charles”) was born in Watford, Hertfordshire, where his father was a pharmacist. He attended Watford Grammar School. After qualifying for medical school, he completed two years of national service with the Royal Army Medical Corps, followed by house jobs at St Helier Hospital in Carshalton and Queen’s Hospital in Romford. He was awarded the DRCOG in 1950 and always retained his interest in obstetrics.
In 1950 he became a trainee general practitioner under H M Harris in Forty Lane, Wembley Park, Middlesex. Harris then made him an assistant and later a full partner, and when he retired in 1958, Charles bought the house and practice …