A man with COPD, fever, and leucocytosisBMJ 2015; 351 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h6067 (Published 13 November 2015) Cite this as: BMJ 2015;351:h6067
- Raghav Murthy, cardiothoracic surgeon1,
- Kemp Kernstine, chairman2
- 1UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas TX 75390, USA
- 2Department of Thoracic Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Correspondence to: R Murthy
A 68 year old man with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), who was on home oxygen and still smoked, presented to the emergency room with fever, fatigue, and leucocytosis (14×109 white blood cells/L). Computed tomography was performed (fig 1⇓). What is the diagnosis?
An infection within a giant bulla.
Infections within a …
Log in using your username and password
Log in through your institution
Sign up for a free trial