John Alan MathewsBMJ 2013; 347 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f5380 (Published 25 September 2013) Cite this as: BMJ 2013;347:f5380
- Martin Sarner, Richard Thompson
John Alan Mathews was physician to the department of rheumatology, St Thomas’ Hospital from 1969 until his retirement in 2000. He had two well known medical uncles—Graham Apley, an orthopaedic surgeon, and Professor John Apley CBE, FRCP, a paediatrician, who likely stimulated his interest in medicine. He went to Haberdasher’s Aske’s School in Hampstead before reading medicine at Jesus College, Cambridge. There he was active in the college’s social life, even joining the esoteric fraternity “roosters,” and went down to Guy’s Hospital Medical School, qualifying in 1957. His six month preregistration medical post was at the Canadian Red Cross Memorial Hospital, Taplow, where his interest in rheumatology may have been kindled. After two years in general practice he returned to hospital medicine at St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey, and then spent three years at the London Hospital, training in physical medicine.
John first came to St Thomas’ …