Harold WilsonBMJ 2013; 347 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f4226 (Published 17 July 2013) Cite this as: BMJ 2013;347:f4226
- Sally Wilson, Judith Wilson
Harold Wilson (“Harry”) began his medical studies at Liverpool University in 1939 but was soon called up for military service. He had amblyopia, so he trained as a radiographer and joined the Royal Army Medical Corps, with which he was stationed in Egypt and Malta. During the war he taught himself German, developing a lifelong passion for the language. Harry returned to Liverpool University to qualify, and after a few years of clinical work he joined the department of pharmacology, which became the focus of his working life in Liverpool. His specialist research included factors controlling nasolacrimal secretion and the autonomic nervous system, and he published numerous papers and selected book chapters on the subject. He also worked closely with colleagues at Innsbruck University and Würzburg University, even lecturing in German. Harry devoted his life to teaching and research, and in retirement he continued to study German, French, and physics. He leaves his wife, Ann; two daughters; and four grandchildren.
Cite this as: BMJ 2013;347:f4226
Former senior lecturer in clinical pharmacology Liverpool University (b 1920; q Liverpool 1950; MD, PhD), died from complications after a stroke on 11 June 2012.