Letters Accidental mushroom poisoning

“Magic” mushrooms don’t cause renal failure

BMJ 2012; 345 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e6893 (Published 17 October 2012) Cite this as: BMJ 2012;345:e6893
  1. Edward G Tuddenham, emeritus professor of haemophilia1
  1. 1Royal Free Hospital/University College London, London NW3 2QG, UK
  1. mycorec{at}blueyonder.co.uk

“We have had recent experience with renal toxicity caused by deliberate ingestion of psilocybin mushrooms, which are eaten for their hallucinogenic effects. Acute renal failure secondary to the recreational use of mushrooms is rarely reported.”1

Each of these statements is problematic. The authors give no …

View Full Text

Sign in

Log in through your institution

Free trial

Register for a free trial to thebmj.com to receive unlimited access to all content on thebmj.com for 14 days.
Sign up for a free trial

Subscribe